Family Empires

I stare at the pictures on the screen

I stare at the pictures on the screen. They show a man walking in and out of the Jindal's factory, dressed in a worker's uniform and carrying a duffle bag. 

"That's Jayesh Poddar. He worked at Jindal Enterprises as the executive assistant of Mr. Jindal, but was fired at the beginning of this year." Paridhi, my associate, speaks, "These pictures show him walking in and out of the Jindal's construction factory in Jaisalmer, a month and a half ago, just around the time the factory workers claim they were paid by him to reveal the confidential information."

I lean back in my chair. Paridhi is seated next to me, across from Vihaan at the long table. We occupy the conference room, trying to brainstorm strategies to fight this lawsuit.

"If I'm on a jury, I'm looking at a bribe, plain as day." Paridhi finishes looking between Vihaan and I.

"Because that's exactly what it is." Vihaan speaks, almost nonchalantly. 

"I don't care what it looks like, this proves nothing. It's our story versus theirs." I shake my head lightly, gazing at the pictures as if some solution will pop up in it.

"They have affidavits by those workers stating they were bribed and pictures of the man accused, walking in and out of their premises with a bag they claim was full of cash. Their story is going to be more compelling." Paridhi counters.

"Luthra Law is representing Jindal Enterprises- Harish Luthra is not going to risk going to trial without more." He is a well-respected lawyer who has a streak for winning- maybe not as perfect as mine, but a streak nonetheless. I look at Vihaan, "They have Jayesh Poddar." 

"No, that's not possible." Vihaan shakes his head.

"It's the only rational scenario. How else would they make the connection between you and him?" I push, a little confused at Vihaan's reaction. 

"I am telling you there is no way Jayesh is the one who sold me out." Vihaan says with such determination, I almost believe him. 

"Come on, Vihaan, you can not be so naive to trust a man so blindly? You said it yourself, money is the world's greatest motivator. Do you really think this man wouldn't sell you out to put a few bills in his pocket and escape this situation unscathed?" I argue.

"No, I don't think he would do it for money. After all, revenge is a far greater motivator than money, isn't it? You said so yourself." Vihaan speaks smoothly. 

"What do you mean?"

"While working for Shivam Jindal, Jayesh Poddar got involved in some shady business on his orders, which resulted in the death of his wife and unborn child. Jayesh has sworn to ruin Jindal since then- I just leveraged his hate. That's how I know he would never work with Jindal." Vihaan informs us so casually, he may as well be talking about the weather. 

"Well, he could still turn on you if Jindal is threatening him in some way? You said he was involved in some shady business, what if he is holding it over Jayesh and coercing him to testify against you?" I point out.