Truths, Lunches and Dates

Any doubts about that girl being Samiksha Arora's twin or lookalike vanished after my eyes met with her

Any doubts about that girl being Samiksha Arora's twin or lookalike vanished after my eyes met with her. I knew those dark brown eyes. That was my Samiksha, as in the one I was supposed to get married to. My entire life I had prided myself for being able to read people effortlessly and accurately. People wore their emotions on their face and their truths on their sleeve. However, I wouldn't have been able to see this coming from a million miles away- maybe I was losing my grip or the girl was just too good. 

"I am sure that was bhabhi's twin or someone." Prisha announced. "Our bhabhi wouldn't punch someone, certainly not someone she flirted with."

"How do you explain her friends, then?" Medhansh countered. 

"She's Samiksha bhabhi's twin, of course she will be friends with her friends." An entire argument burst out between all my idiot cousins. They all tried to find reasonable explanations for what they had just witnessed. Lost in their bickering, I was the only one who noticed Devansh enter our space. He had been in America for a week due to work and had absolutely no idea about my recent engagement arrangement. 

"Hi, guys. What are y'all fighting about?" He asked, amused. He had just got off the plane and come here. 

"Arrey, Devansh! Bhai, tujhe heart attack du? Vihaan ki shaadi ho rahi hain." Aaryan man-hugged him.

"WHAT?" The shock was evident on his face, which was a measure of just how shocked he was because being a criminal lawyer, Devansh had mastered the art of not translating his thoughts on his face. Everyone then proceeded to explain the entire situation to him, including Avishi's description of her and the spectacle right now. 

"Wait, did you say he's getting married to Samiksha Arora? And y'all think she is traditional and conservative?" Devansh asked, thoughtfully. Then he proceeded to take out his phone and scrolled for a few seconds before turning the screen in our direction. It displayed a picture of him with a woman... who looked like Samiksha.

"Is this her?" He asked, looking at me. I only nodded in response. This was confusing the shit out of me. This woman confused the shit out of me and I did not like it one bit. Devansh just burst out laughing.

"You seriously thought this woman was sanskari and traditional and conservative," He choked out between laughs, "Man, I want to see her reaction to this."

"Do you know her?" I managed to grind out. I did not like how he was referring to her as if she was an old friend, and why did he have a picture with her? There were others in it too, but still.

"Yes! Everybody knows her! That's Samiksha Arora, the managing partner of Arora & Avalani, the biggest law firm in India right now. I am surprised you all don't know her. She's a legend in the world of law." Devansh clarified. What?

"No way that is true." Minakshi scoffed.

"I've met her, see for yourself." He indicated to the picture, "This was at a law conference in Mumbai. She was the only female managing partner present. And her record is beyond impressive. She graduated from Harvard, passed the bar, and worked her way up from an associate to senior partner in three years, that's practically unheard of. And then she overthrew the previous partners in the firm, and not only any partners, but Luthra, Anand and Salve." Holy shit. I knew those names, they were once the best lawyers in the country.