The Takeover

I have never been nervous before a hearing- even at my first mock hearing at Harvard, I had a certain confidence that most of my batchmates lacked

I have never been nervous before a hearing- even at my first mock hearing at Harvard, I had a certain confidence that most of my batchmates lacked. But today feels different, because for the first time a hearing won't only impact my career but also my personal life. After my fighting talk yesterday, losing this hearing would not only be embarrassing, but Vihaan Randhawa will never take any of threats seriously, seeing as I could not make good on them. He will walk all over me and I can not let that happen.

Despite the nervous energy brewing inside my ribcage, I force a cool exterior. As I get out of my car in front of the courthouse, I take a deep breath and make sure that my body language and facial expression reflect a confidence that I am not currently feeling. Fake it till you make it, indeed.

My five inch heels click against the marble floor as I make my way towards the chambers of the appointed judge on the case. However, as I push open the door, I don't expect to see Vihaan Randhawa himself standing in the room- a hearing is supposed to be between attorneys only, nobody else is allowed in a judge's private chambers. I don't let my surprise show on my face, though, as I slide my eyes towards the petite female standing next to him, who I assume to be Priyal Mehta, his attorney.

"You're late." The judge, Mr. Kuntiya, speaks from his chair behind the desk. I do not even need to glance at my watch to know I am exactly on time. That's odd.

"No, I am not." I raise a single eyebrow. Mr. Kuntiya glances at the clock on his desk and purses his lips when he finds I am correct. That's when I figure it out, the reason Vihaan is in here- the judge is completely biased. Mr. Kuntiya is not going to be ruling in my favor today no matter what I say. Maybe Vihaan has bribed or blackmailed him, or they're close friends, whatever the reason may be, Vihaan Randhawa has the judge in his pocket. That's when I get why this man has a reputation for winning: he goes to any lengths to win, including cheating. He doesn't play fair, never has. Despite the anger rolling off my body, I don't say anything, yet.

"So, Ms. Arora, you've filed an injunction to stop the Randhawa Group's tender offer to buy Singhania Industries, is that correct?" He stated, looking at the documents in front of him.

(An injunction is a judicial order restraining a person from beginning or continuing an action. In this case an injunction would stop Vihaan from buying shares of Singhania Industries.)

"Yes, your honor." 

"And on what grounds?"

"On the grounds that a board member of Luhania Investment Group provided Mr. Randhawa with inside trade secrets, which Mr. Randhawa used to move up his tender offer." I state smoothly.

"And do you have any proof of that?" Expecting that question, I take out a file from my handbag and hand it to him.

"This is a sworn affidavit by Prashant Garg stating he was blackmailed by Mr. Vihaan Randhawa to leak inside information on the Singhania Industries takeover." I clarify. I glance at Vihaan but I am not surprised to find his face empty of any emotion. If he was expecting Prashant Garg to confess to his crimes, I have no idea.