Strictly Business

"Good night, ma'am

"Good night, ma'am." My employees call out behind me. 

"Good night." I smile back, as the doors of the elevator close and it begins its descent. I sigh and lean against the back wall. It's been a week since the deposition and we're still waiting to hear from the opposition. A week of drawing strategies and planning every course of action possible. I step off on the ground floor and make my way to the double set of glass doors. 

"Samiksha." A voice sounds from behind me. I turn around to meet Subhash Avalani. He stands there in a suit, briefcase in hand. 

"Are you here for a job interview? They let you go already?" I mock him, even though my mind is anticipating the possible reasons he could be here. 

"I doubt I'd need to give an interview considering my name is on the wall and all that." He twists to look at the large letters in gold that read 'Arora & Avalani'. I grit my teeth. I've always hated the fact that I didn't- couldn't- remove his name. After we took over the firm, the name changed from Luthra Anant Salve to Arora & Avalani. It was already a big change, that inspired a lot of speculation among clients regarding our stability. If I'd changed it again, it would have been an invitation to the sharks circling the waters; we would have lost a lot of business, because instability equals weakness. 

So every day, I walk past his name, right next to mine, and pretend it doesn't drive me mad—especially knowing what he's done.

"Look, you made your point." Subhash continues when I don't reply, "You're going to tear apart Poddar's credibility in court. But so will we. You think I don't know about the extortion and insider trading charge against your husband by Luhania Investment Group?" He pauses for dramatic effect, "I'll find many more skeletons in his closet if I dig deeper. And once they're out in the open, a jury won't find it hard to believe that Vihaan Randhawa could bribe a few factory workers."   

"Then do it. Why are you here?" I ask. The silence that follows tells me everything that I need to know and a weight lifts from my chest. A smirk lifts my lips, "Jindal wants you to cut a deal." 

"Against my recommendation." Subhash replies, not meeting my eyes. "Here are our terms-" 

"No, here are my terms," I cut him off, my voice steady and razor-sharp, "Randhawa Group pleads no contest and all criminal charges against Vihaan Randhawa are dropped."

"Even an idiot wouldn't accept these terms, Samiksha, and you know it. The only deal Shivam Jindal will accept is if Vihaan Randhawa pleads guilty and pays a fine of one crore rupees, and we won't pursue this matter anymore." I let out a bitter laugh. 

"No deal." I reply and start to walk away.

"You're legally required to present this offer to your client." Subhash calls out and I stop in my tracks, as he comes and stands in front of me. "It's a take it or leave it offer." He informs me, before turning around and walking out of the door.