Reach The Moon

"You should go back now, Malzeno," Gaia spoke solemnly. Her conversation was meant to be strictly business, but she ended up having a bit of fun.

Did she ever have fun? It felt so foreign. This must be what it means to be human. To enjoy something such as talking seems pretty far-fetched, but it wasn't for an entity like Gaia. Not if it was the first time.

"You don't want me to go, do you?" It was easy to tell, given how aware Malzeno truly is.

"It's...complicated. I only wish for Humanity and the Planet to return to their normal state. There's a reason I called you here but I can't reveal it yet."

Malzeno shook his head before patting Gaia's blonde head. Her crimson eyes shined with a mysterious glint and something awakened in her, but she kept silent, wanting to enjoy the moment without any words.

"Right. But what if I fail?"
.
.
.
"You won't," Gaia responded with confidence that could put the heat of the sun to shame.

However, she didn't give Malzeno the luxury of his own response as she whisked him away. The scenery changed for her, and she found herself in front of another figure, but they possessed a similar face but with pitch black hair reaching their waist, and a similar shade of crimson eyes.

"Sister..."

"You left me behind!"

Gaia blinked.

Not once

Definitely not twice.

"You were scared!" Gaia shouted with exasperation. "I was scared too! But I went in there with my head up high!"

"..."

"..."

"Can I pull your hair out?"
.

.

.
Malzeno found himself back on Earth, or perhaps it was just a waning dream? To be on the moon, and Gaia made it a reality. It was possible, but the conversation lingered on his mind.

He knew there were things she didn't tell him, but again, it wasn't his business, it wasn't even his world! He didn't need the complete truth, her sincerity and childish attitude somewhat made him appreciate her.

He would fix this world, then perhaps stay on the moon with her. That would be a nice way to live the rest of his days or decades. He still has about one hundred or so years in him.
.

.

.
"Oh, hey pops!"

Malzeno walked to the campfire, he looked at Elizabeth who called out to him. It seemed she saw him as a father figure, which he was pleasantly okay with. After all, he was an old man, so being called as such wouldn't be some insult.

"You alright, kid?"

"I am! I wanted to go practice, but you were busy staring up at the moon, so I left you alone."

Malzeno nodded. "I was going over something. Thanks for leaving an old man alone."

"You don't look old..." Mash added. "But by your tone and mannerisms, you're an old spirit."

"That's correct," Malzeno looked around to see everyone, minus Jeanne who was awake.

"You okay?" Malzeno asked Jeanne, who was cleaning off her flagpole.

"Yes. The flag usually gets dirty so I have to clean it often. It's harder than you might think."

Malzeno sat beside her, watching as she intricately cared for her weapon of choice. His red irises looked at her blonde hair, his eyes shrunk as he saw white strokes here and there.

"Could it be?" Malzeno also noticed the tone in which Jeanne spoke. It wasn't that of her cheery demeanor but of a more subtle and somber voice. "Was this what Gaia wanted to talk about but forgot? Can Servants change after being summoned?"

"Well...I used to just jump inside a body of water and clean myself."

"At first I thought it was ludicrous you were a Dragon, but it seems you are. Do you miss it?" Jeanne's cheery voice returned as she continued to clean the flagpole.

"Surprisingly, no. I believe my perspective has broadened as a result."

Yes, it was true. There were things Malzeno didn't think he would ever do, and that's converse with humans like he is now. He saw them as pests before...or perhaps he was always deluding himself into that notion. He felt enlightened.

"I always wondered, what is your world like?"
Malzeno scratched his hair, pulling the man bun so his silver hair could freely brush against the calming breeze. The crackles from the bonfire and Elizabeth's humming made for a camp-like setting. His Kimono was dirty with all the fights he had done, but he ignored it.

"Well...it's complicated. I want to say that Humans are merely a food source, but at the same time, us monsters could also be in the wrong. It's a matter of perspective," Malzeno clenched his hands tightly.

"There was one Human I met a few decades ago. She was an idiot like most humans," Malzeno's tone was distant as if he was remembering a memory tucked away at the back of his mind.

"She wanted to be different, to learn how I trained my body and hone my strikes for one hundred percent efficiency."

"I take it due to the laws of your world, such a thing is seen as treason?"

"There are lands where Humans and Monsters coexist, but I come from lands where it's to hunt or be hunted. The girl became strong, stronger than anyone, but was ultimately killed by her hunting party that was sent to kill me shortly after my affliction."

"Did you..."

"I did. I made sure to kill them. I was so angry, furious, and vengeful. I nearly lost my former objective of keeping the Archedemon at bay. Those humans taught me that despite my elegant style of fighting, having a cunning sense can kill your opponent just as well as fighting with a knight's code."

Jeanne remained silent, her amethyst irises shining with the light of the campfire, however, ciders of pale, despondent yellow flickered within her eyes after hearing Malzeno's story.

"That's why my other half said you're like us," Jeanne said aimlessly. "You weren't betrayed, but the girl you trained was, and by extension you were. I understand, your hate is justified."

"I will always have an indifference to humans, but I'm no longer the Malzeno that fights with an air of nobility. I will succeed in this mission and reach the moon."
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

AN: All chapter from Webnovel are now here, which means updates will be slower, but hopefully you all enjoy what I got in store.

I want to say thanks for all the reads, this story has been #1 on the #fategrandorder tag for a week straight, although I'm not one for competition, I do feel like I accomplished something.