Last Stand [2]

Under the scorching sun, the sound of battle echoed, rattling with the cries of dying men and beast.

"Keep the pressure! Today we become Dragon's worse enemy!" The shout came from Gilles, the good one before his journey of madness.

He continuously gave out orders, which were met with compliance from his platoon. He was currently making his way towards Orleans, but he met opposition by a sudden horde of Wyverns. This was not his day, it truly wasn't.

.

.

.

Malzeno, Ritsuka, Mash, Amadeus and Kiyohime had reached their destination, being the town of Thiers.

"It's been a few days since we separated from Jeanne and the others, we've finally arrived," Ritsuka released a pent up sigh of relief.

"That Fafnir fellow is still lingering. I believe if we can't find that Dragon Slayer, I'll have to transform," Malzeno quite liked his new body, but his old body would be a huge boon for the rest of the group.

"We should rest, the walk was quite arduous," Amadeus suggested, with everyone nodding their heads in agreement.

After everything was set, the group took the time to rest their weary bones. Malzeno, however, was quite restless, he barely feels fatigue, and only once he did so when fighting against Saint Martha.

Her dying words left him looking at humans in a new light. He would continue to help humanity, only stopping unless they decide to destroy themselves. He was selfish, and probably will continue to do so.

"Caster, tell me about Marie. She was a queen, yes?" Malzeno wanted to learn about Marie Antoinette, her character caught  Malzeno's attention.

"I'm surprise you wish to learn more about someone like her."

"True, but she's quite unique."

"I see," Amadeus sounded nonchalant but he was shocked to find out that the Dragon wished to know about his old friend.

"Well, in German, her name is Maria Antonia, she married at the young age of 14."

"Isn't that too young? I doubt she was mature enough."

"You would be right, but it was a political marriage. Both families bring in something the other needs, whether it's wealth, power or status."

Malzeno hummed, beckoning Amadeus to continue.

"What awaited her was a grand, glimmering life at versailles. There she battled for the sake of people, cutting off royal funds to ensure the people were able to eat during times of famine but in the end, that didn't save her from being beheaded."

Malzeno knew Amadeus left some stuff out, and he was thankful for it. It seemed Marie Antoinette was an amazing person, who enjoyed her life to the fullest while keeping her citizens secure with the necessary needs.

To die the way she did, it ticked off something within Malzeno. Was it anger, pity, or perhaps guilt. She should've died naturally, everyone deserves to die like that.

"Thanks for telling me this."

"You're quite welcome. It was refreshing to talk about this. You're starting to become human yourself."

Malzeno blinked. "I am?"

"Of course!"

.

.

.

"I wish pops was here, he could've carried me on his back!"

"It's funny because he is the type to do so," Marie's smile was brimmed with radiance, although her time was brief with the Dragon, she came to appreciate his kind nature, even if he doesn't believe he is.

"Jeanne?"

Jeanne seemed to be in deep thought, her finger curled on her chin as her eyes were elsewhere. Jeanne finally snapped out of it as Marie tapped her shoulder, getting Jeanne to jump in surprise.

"Sorry, I was in thought," Jeanne shook her head, a somber visage painted her eyes.

"About the Dragon Witch?"

"Yes, I don't understand her. I don't feel her hatred at all, or perhaps I'm too oblivious to such things."

Marie blinked, before her smile returned. "You're truly beautiful, Jeanne."

"Eh? Don't say that!"

Marie shook her head, her smile went somber as she thought about her next words.

"It's the truth, I would most likely succumb to what the Dragon Witch is saying if I was in your shoes."

"...."

"I don't hate the people who executed me, I say so with ninety percent certainty, but with the left over ten percent, even less. I may hate those who killed my child, Charles."

"However, you're not like that, you continue to see the best in others, simply put, you love people."

"That's correct, I do love them. I hold no resentment in my heart to hate them."

"Hey! I see it!" Elizabeth's voice cut through the conversation, with both Jeanne and Marie nodding to continue this another time.

"This is Montluçon right?"

.

.

.

"You found the Dragon Slayer? Great work!" Ritsuka was relieved this plan to split up worked well. It was risky, but it paid off in her favor for once.

"Yes, they've been taking refuge here in Monuçon."

"Wait...they?"

"I'll take it from here."

A man with a tranquil air appeared in the transmission, his appearance was regal, wearing a set of bronze armor, his long, hazel brown hair seemed like a waterfall.

"So you're the master from the future. My class is Rider, my true name is Georgios," The man introduced himself, his tone carried a suave but respectful tune.

"Nice to meet you, my name is Ritsuka Fujimaru...about the Dragon Slayer..."

"Of course," Georgios coughed, the greetings could wait as it was gone to get back to the main topic. "Siegfried is here, in fact, it'll be easier to show you."

Moving to the side, the group in Thiers saw a platinum haired man, who appeared bred ridden, his body seemed like stoned as several cracks could be seen on his skin.

"Are those wounds?"

"These would be curses, sorry for greeting you in a such a state," Siegfried's tone was raspy, most likely from the countless curses placed upon him.

"Suppress your mana! I can smell a group of Dragons approaching," Malzeno interrupted the conversation.

"Yes, he's right, I can a terrible beat from here," Amadeus concurred.

As Ritsuka's group hid, the sounds of flapping wings overlapped everything else, and soon, the horde of Wyverns appeared, however one giant among them stood out, and Malzeno instantly knew who that was.

"So, that's Fafnir?"

"The direction they're heading towards..."

"It's way off from Orleans...we've predicted their route and...it's headed for Jeanne's group in Montluçon."

__________________________________

AN: I didn't expect to make this singularity more than 15 chapters but here we are at 20. Thanks for reading!