Last Stand

As everyone sat to eat Malzeno's cooking, the man of the hour was currently listening to Elizabeth's humming. He was preoccupied with figuring out how this rag tag group can handle the threats to come in the foreseeable future.

"Hey, pops! You think I could beat my future self?"

With a slow blink, Malzeno smiled. "Of course. Nothing is set in stone. Just believe in yourself and you'll overcome anything."

Elizabeth nodded her head with crossed arms and closed eyes. "Of course I can. You also have someone you gotta fight too. I know you can beat whoever this Giasmagorm guy is!"

"Well, I definitely gotta beat him if you think I can."

"Mhm, naturally."

"Enough of that," Marie interjected. "Let's talk about something else...like love."

Elizabeth and Kiyohime seemed to gain stars for eyes, while Malzeno tilted his head. Love wasn't something he cared for, and certainly not now. However, he suppose he can use this as a learning experience.

"This sounds like fun!"

"If it is about love, I happen to be experienced," Kiyohime's aura suddenly changed, but no one paid attention to it.

"I understand why these three started to travel together," Malzeno thought with a sweat drop.

"I'm going to go eat some metal," Malzeno said, feeling a dreadful feeling about the conversation to be, but he was stopped as Marie stood in front of him.

"You're invited, too, you need to learn what love is as well."

"Wait, what?"

.

.

.

Malzeno grumbled as he sat cross legged, his arms folded in front of him as he was forced to listen to the girls talk about love.

"I've never done a girls talk before," Mash voiced shyly.

"Non! Don't worry, this won't be terrible. It's simply a discussion amongst us woman,"

"Umm," Malzeno wanted to interject, but let his head drop to the table.

"Well, I remember when I was alive, I did get married," Elizabeth spoke first. "But I'm from before that, but I'm sure I did get married."

As the conversation continued. Malzeno and Mash were surprised by the flushed faces on everyone.

"Does love really do this?"

"Those faces...is this what happens when talking about love?"

These were the thoughts running through Malzeno and Mash's head. Malzeno still found love pointless, as if not worth his time. It wasn't something he particularly cared for, and probably never will. However, he can see the benefits it can bring. Happiness for one.

As this went through his head, his resolve to protect these people grew stronger, like a well being flooded with water. He steadily felt better, his crimson eyes had the glint of a diamond reflecting light.

As the conversation continued, Amadeus began to play a soft tune, fitting the joyous atmosphere as everyone dined on Malzeno's cooking. It wasn't much, but it was honest work.
.

.

.

As the day passed, night fell, and that was when Malzeno sent his remaining Qurio to scout the surroundings, allowing for everyone to rest.

Malzeno sat upon a small hill, the ferns crushed beneath him, and the soothing breeze brushed against his face. His silver hair billowed, but his eyes continued to look at the moon.

"Oh, you're here."

Malzeno turned his head to see that it was Mash. The girl was a busybody, staying awake to make sure nothing happens to Ritsuka and everyone else.

"Sit with me," Malzeno gave a genial smile, which was welcomed by Mash as she sat beside him.

"You know kid, you're braver than most," Malzeno began. "No offense, but at first I thought you would hold us back."

"None taken, I'm still new to this, but I've been getting better, I think."

Mash had agreed with Malzeno's words. She felt she was a liability, but so far, that hasn't been the case. She was pulling her weight, contributing to the team with all she could muster.

"Being new at something is okay, we all start off weak. Some of us are born strong, but being born strong is different from being strong."

Malzeno laid against the grass, his eyes closed as he felt himself marinate into the earth.

"All it takes is the slightest trigger to change a person," Malzeno continued. "Young Lady, give it your best."

With those words, Malzeno drifted off into a blissful sleep, letting the silent embrace that came with it cover him. Mash looked up at the moon, taking Malzeno's words to heart as she felt her confidence shoot up.

.

.

.

In Orleans, a man hurriedly walk down a hall, his steps leaving behind a grail a blood, his breath sounded like the ragged heaving of a tired prey item that scurried for its life.

"How unfortunate."

The man's eyes shot open as he felt...body less. His head was carefully placed in the hands of another.

"How unsightly, did you lose that bad?"

"Well, seems like the Dragon Slayer got you. With your spiritual core eroded, you're better off dying here and now."

"Great work, Berserk Assassin, Monsieur De Paris."

"Of course. My work is best shone in moments like this."

Jalter sported a smile, one of wickedness.

"Find the Dragon Slayer, and kill them," Jalter ordered. "If the rats come out of their borrows, kill them as well."

"Very well, this will be an opportunity to polish my skills," The man began to walk away, his hands inside his coat pocket.

Jalter closed her eyes with a sigh. "Yes, I look forward to seeing your results."

The Sanson Houses forth executioner, the forth  Monsieur De Paris, Charles-Henri Sanson. The man who chopped off the the neck of Marie Antoinette.

As the Executioner disappeared from view, Jalter had a look of uncertainty in her eyes. She knew if Sanson encountered the opposing Ruler, he would fail.

It was time for her to make a final stand.
______________________________________

AN: I can feel Writers Block setting in, so I'll release this chapter ahead of that. I'll try to get next chapter done on Christmas. I do want to start the Septem Singularity for new years to start 2024 fresh.