•Sixteen•

•Let Go•
(Technically y'all get two chapters
into one, you're welcome!)

Byron's POV:

PJ quickly closed the door, creating an awkward tension in the room. Alicia, looking confused, repeated her question, "Byron, who is this?"

Me and Olivia exchanged nervous glances before I spoke up, "Alicia, this is just my assistant at BM Enterprise. She was leaving; you caught her on her way out."

Alicia, still surprised, responded, "I didn't know anyone besides family could visit you here."

I thought quickly on my feet, and said, "Well, she's handling some work things for me. Nothing to worry about."

Olivia awkwardly smiled, "Byron, don't forget to call your brother and give me some information whenever you can okay?"

I played along, "You got it, Olivia!"

As Olivia left the room, Alicia asked with genuine concern, "Byron, why is your assistant here, and why didn't I know about her?"

I got defensive, and replied, "Alicia, it's not a big deal. She's here for work stuff, and I don't need to report every detail to you."

Alicia persisted, "I just want to make sure everything is okay, Byron. You know we're all worried about you."

I felt agitated and snapped, "Alicia, I said I'm fine. Stop prying into my business. I don't need another babysitter on my back, especially you."

Alicia, hurt by my response, fell silent, realizing that pressing further would only lead to more tension.

Then I said, "Actually, don't even try to come at me with stuff you don't know about. When I didn't know anything about your inherited fortune! Just who are you to hide that from me Alicia?"

Alicia gulped, "Baby I wanted to tell you but your parents told me not to."

I interrupted, "-AND WHO ARE YOU TO LISTEN TO MY PARENTS OUT OF ALL PEOPLE?!? You're marrying me, not them! This entire time I thought I was the breadwinner in this engagement."

Alicia sighed, "Is that all that matters to you...is the money?"

I rolled my eyes, "Face it, Alicia! You were never with me because of my looks. What could be better than dating a man who is a manager and wealthy?"

Alicia shook her head, "Baby you must seem to forget that I didn't even know about BM Enterprise when I first met you. I didn't get with you because of what you own, or your looks, I'm with you because I love you!"

I scoffed, "That's cute Alicia! But love doesn't pay the bills and it's certainly not going to pay for all the expensive things you're going to want in life."

Alicia replied, "When I met you in college I didn't care about any of that! I would go back to being a waitress at a diner if it meant that we didn't have to live rich. Remember you were getting a degree so that you could take over your father's business and I got a degree so that I could start my own business!"

I argued, "That's exactly what I'm talking about you're too busy living in the past, and you're not focused on the present! Out of the seven years we've been together I can't believe you even hid it for that long. Your mom passed four years ago make it make sense Alicia!"

Alicia responded, "I haven't even seen that money that I was supposed to inherit from my mother's passing-"

"-YOU KNOW WHAT!" I exclaimed, "You're really irritating me by adding lies on top of lies! Just get out why are you even still here!? BYE!"