•Twenty Two•

•Echoes of Redemption•

Malcolm's POV:

So, it has now been revealed that Desire has committed murder. I don't know if she thought that her secret was going to make me look at her in a different light. If anything I'm happy she defended herself. I still feel like the way things played out would've happened regardless. I looked at the situation as self-defense, the man was asking for it.

We drove to this hilltop, a place where you can see the full city from above. Sometimes, I come here to cry, pray, and get my mind off of a few things. I figured this would be the best place for Desire right now. I got out of the car and opened her door, then I led her to see the view.

She looked mesmerized and said, "This is beautiful!"

I explained, "I brought you here to let out all that anger you've been feeling. Anything else you want to tell me...I'm here to listen."

Desire sighed, "I know I was wrong-"

"-Self-defense!" I interrupted, "You know how many girls get taken advantage of, abused, and feel like they can't do anything about it? You're blessed enough to even be alive right now."

I saw tears well up in her eyes. Then Desire said, "After I moved in with my pimp he taught me the ropes of how to be an adult. That doesn't mean that what he taught me was right but I will admit that he did put me on my feet. After Terry though, I really couldn't trust men in general. The only reason why I trusted Lucifer so hard was because in his mind...he owned me anyway."

I asked, "Do you ever think about going to therapy?"

Desire replied, "Lucifer didn't let me!"

Then I asked, "No offense, but how do you let someone have that much control over you? You basically went from bad to worse."

Desire cried, "That's how the game works. When you're already selling yourself for money. In a pimp's mind, they already bought you with a price. That's all your body is ever worth anyway."

I responded, "No, that's not all you're worth and you need to stop talking to yourself like that!"

Desire exclaimed, "Well that's how people made me feel! It's always been about your looks, thighs, hips, and what's going on downtown. Spread your legs, bend over, and that's all I was ever genuinely taught. I was never taught to love myself for who I truly was."

I pulled her in for a hug and said, "I am so sorry! I can't relate to how you're feeling but I can tell by the pain in your voice. You're hurt!"

She looked into my eyes with tears streaming down her face. Then she said, "I'm sorry for always being so rude to you. I just have trust issues, anger issues, and all these problems that could be way too much weight on you."

I replied, "It's okay! I just believe that life put us through experiences in the past to build us up. Everything you went through wasn't right...and I won't say whether it was God or the devil. Because I truly don't know but, even though we can't control your past, we can definitely control where you're going in the future. I wanna help you find your purpose in life. That's why you're still here! There was a reason besides you jumping out of that window why you're still standing here today."

Desire smiled, "You can help me, but tonight, I won't stay with you anymore. I make enough at the gym to afford a hotel each night. I don't want to be a burden any longer."

I replied, "Desire you are never a burden! Why can't you see that?"

Desire explained, "Malcolm we have to be honest with each other. Well, let me be honest with you! I like you a lot and my feelings for you are starting to become more than just friends. I don't want the way that I feel for you to get us in trouble with the Lord for how we're living. I'm gaining feelings for you and I don't want to hinder our blessings. Plus, I need to do this!"