•Twenty•

•Questions that need to be answered•

Byron's POV:

I woke up in sweats and it was late in the middle of the night. I slowly got out of bed and my head was spinning. I looked underneath my bed and realized the shoebox wasn't there. They must've taken it. I turned the doorknob and it was opened. No security guards at the door or anything. I slowly crept downstairs to make my way out the door but I noticed the kitchen light on. I walked in there and my mom was sitting down at the table crying.

I walked in and then sat down at the table with her. I asked, "What's wrong with you?"

She continued to have her face covered then I grabbed her hands. She wiped her tears and then said, "Byron, this hasn't been easy on none of us. With you in your condition, the business is failing. Don't you think we're all angry?"

I replied, "Okay but I'm the one taking the pills! I feel like I'm losing my mind every day-"

"-WE ALL FEEL LIKE THAT BYRON!" Mama interrupted, "Stop thinking of yourself for once and understand that we all feel the same as you do."

I responded, "Well maybe if y'all wouldn't trap me here then I can help!"

Mama rolled her eyes, "HOW BYRON!? You had your chance but because you wanted to be on that stuff again, you left us no choice. You still don't get it! You're the reason why we're in this position now!"

My frustration flared, "You act like I wanted this for myself! I didn't choose to be like this. Those pills you're forcing on me are messing with my head, and I can't think straight. If I could go back and change things, I would, but I can't! You don't know what it's like to be trapped in your own mind, fighting against something you didn't ask for."

Mama asked, "And how exactly did you end up with something you didn't ask for!? HOW??"

I got quiet then she said, "I just want you to take accountability for your actions. Get some help and...be happy. Don't you think we wanna see you get married? Take over your father's company? And be happy?"

I replied, "No I don't know about that...Y'all over here keeping secrets from me. Making me feel like I can't know anything!"

Mama cried, "Because you can't! As parents sometimes we have to leave you not knowing things because you wouldn't know how to handle it."

I got offended and said, "Mama I'm a grown man! I can handle anything."

"Well, I sure can't tell!" Mama responded, "You run back in forth to drugs like a kid at a candy store. That's not called being grown; it's called avoiding responsibility and drowning your problems. You need to face reality, Byron, and stop running away every time things get tough. Until you accept that, don't expect us to tell you anything."

I asked, "How can I change?"

Mama grabbed my hand desperately and said, "I just want you to try and get help. Because if not then we'll have no choice but to send you to rehab. Then everything you've worked so hard for up until this point will go to waste. How do you think Alicia will feel if she finds out you won't be marrying her at all? What do you think will happen to the company if we have to find someone else to replace you? We can't ask Malcolm to do it! All your dreams you were longing for will go down the drain if you don't get help."