•Thirty One•

•Judgement is Crazy•

Desire's POV:

We were all seated at the beautiful dinner table, but the tension in the room was extremely awkward. Mrs. Wanda, sitting beside me, raised her eyebrow and asked, "So Malcolm, what street did you find this one on?"

I coughed on my food, then said, "Actually-"

"-We met at work!" Malcolm interrupted.

"Really?" Mrs.Wanda asked, "It's a surprise to know she's not filing for unemployment checks."

I started to feel uncomfortable. But I held my patience because it was his mom. Then she asked, "Desire, tell me more about yourself. What do you do for a living?"

I hesitated for a moment, then replied, "I work as a janitor."

Wanda's eyes widened, and she almost choked on her champagne. She exclaimed in disbelief, "A janitor? You can't be serious! Do you not have any goals for yourself?"

My temper boiled on the inside, but I held my composure. Then said, "I'm going to school next month. I'm going to be a mental health mentor."

Mrs.Wanda chuckled, "A mental health mentor? Well, dear, it's quite a leap from janitor, isn't it? But I suppose we all have our fantasies."

I took a deep breath trying to hold it together. But I was getting ready to lose it. Wanda continued, "How did Malcolm, my son, end up engaged to a janitor?"

Malcolm intervened, "I'd rather be engaged to a janitor than to a woman who's dependent on me for money all the time. At least she can get by on her own and not have to use me for years to keep from being broke."

Mrs.Wanda replied, "So what?? That's what women are for, wouldn't you agree Alicia?"

Alicia replied, "I don't know Mrs.Wanda the job doesn't matter. As long as they love each other."

Mrs.Wanda said, "Ooo these kids nowadays. Honey, you remember when we began to date you told me to quit my job because you would take care of me?"

Byron spoke up, "Daddy also did a quickie on you the first day y'all met too!"

I choked, trying to hold in my laugh. Then Alicia started whispering to Byron and he brushed her off. Mrs.Wanda rolled her eyes, "So anyways..."

She announced, "Back to more important matters, We have grand plans for Alicia and Byron's wedding. Desire, you'll be helping us with the preparations. Malcolm, you'll be helping your brother gather his friends and everyone else to come. Alicia dear, did you bring your mother's will?"

Alicia nodded her head, "Yes! You mentioned that you'll have a lawyer help me gather everything together?"

"Ahh yes," Mrs.Wanda said, "Immediately after he submits it. You should be able to get the inheritance."

Alicia said, "Thank you so much Mrs.Cross for all of your help. Genuinely, I'm glad to know that my fiancé is doing better and things are finally coming along."

Mrs.Wanda said, "You'll thank me when you see the venue I've picked out for you both. It's beautiful, almost as beautiful as my wedding was. Malcolm, where are you two going to get married?"

Malcolm said, "We haven't thought about that yet!"

Mrs.Wanda said, "Well you better get to it because I don't wanna show up and you two get married at a park."

Malcolm asked, "What's wrong with a park mama?"

Mrs.Wanda said, "Son I know you're a cheapskate but parks are just tacky."