5

Song for this chapter-"Brave" by Sara Bareilles

"Talking to people and hearing their stories, you learn a lot."

TRIGGER WARNING: topics including self-harm, suicide and depression are mentioned in this chapter. Read at your own risk or skip on to the next chapter :)

............................

(Laura's POV)

I woke up around 9am. Great. You know me, loving the daylight and all. Ugh I want to go back to sleep. I flopped back down on my pillow and was about to dose off when my big brother Kyle comes barging in. "Oh my God get out" I moaned as he approached me. "Get up, Grace and Greg are coming home today" he explained, pulling the duvet off of me. "And so what let them come. I will be here in my cocoon" I muttered as I clamped my pillow over my head. "Mom wants the house cleaned and I am not doing it by myself Laura" he rolled his eyes. "Why do you still live here?" I asked sweetly. He gave me the are you serious kind of look. "Dude I am literally two years older than you shut up I can't afford my own place yet" he sighed, leaning against my door frame. "Okay cool well that don't mean you're in charge of me, so kindly fuck off" I said sweetly before turning in my bed, facing the wall to try and sleep. Kyle groaned. "You know Laura, you actually have to work at some stage in life and that means getting up early. When are you going to learn that life doesn't revolve around sleeping in all the time!" He said. I gave him the finger. "I do what I want when I feel like it" I stayed simply. He sighed before walking out. "You're a crazy bitch" he muttered. I smiled proudly. I felt kinda bad though so I sat up and tried to make myself more awake. Oh yeah. Introductions and all that. So Kyle is my older brother. Very protective one at that. He's 19.  He seems like a douche, but he literally guards me with his life. It's kind of weird if you ask me. He is currently in college studying computer science. He is a smart kid I'll give him that. He lives at home during the holidays and at the weekend. We were on summer break so he had all of his free time to spend here unless he was at work in the local bicycle store. Onto Grace and Greg. So Grace is the oldest in our family. She's 24 and is currently engaged to her boyfriend Greg. She looks a lot like me. All of us look alike, with our dark hair, brown eyes and tanned skin. She is a qualified teacher now and lives up in Melbourne with Greg, who works as an accountant. When we met Greg first, I didn't think he was right for Grace at all. He was so refined and perfect, everything Grace wasn't. She was so badass, I admired her for years. She's changed though. She's boring as heck now. Greg is perfect for her. Even though she's still so young, she is marrying the right person. He is head over heels for her. They were coming home for the weekend today. And I had to clean the house. How wonderful.

I got up to start getting ready for the day. I showered, washed my face and brushed my teeth before throwing on a pair of shorts and a black tee. Today was comfy day. If I have to clean, I'm going to do it in comfort. I skipped downstairs to the kitchen. "Morning mom" I said as I kissed her cheek. "Morning honey" she smiled. "Where's Dad?" I asked, popping two slices of bread in the toaster. "He's at the store getting me ingredients. I'm going to make cupcakes" Mom squealed excitedly. "Cool" I tried to join her excitement, but just wasn't feeling it. The toast popped and I began to smear Nutella all over the surface on the bread. "That's not a very healthy breakfast Laura" my mom scolded. "You're the one making cupcakes"I pointed out. "Plus it's Friday" I said before popping toast in my mouth and walking out. I could hear my mom sigh as I jogged up the stairs. I sat in my bed, eating and scrolling through my phone. My snapchat was full of snaps from the girls, a few friends from high school, but mainly the guys from high school. "Hey babe, shame you weren't at my party the other night. We could've had so much fun, just like last year ;) x" was the snap from Ultan. I rolled my eyes and left him on open along with the many other guys. I loved my reputation in high school of being the badass and playing all the guys. It was great to hold some kind of power almost. Our group was quite popular. Not for the wrong reasons though. We talked to everyone, made everyone feel like they belong. Unlike Tiffany and her group who used to bully anyone who was a tiny bit smarter than her. Jealous bitch. I continued scrolling when an unknown number popped up on my screen. Confused, I put my plate aside and answered. "Hello, Laura speaking" I said. "Hi Laura! It's Alan Campbell here and I was wondering if you and your band would-" "No, me and my band do not want to meet you in your office to discuss becoming pornstars. Thank you, good day sir" I said before hanging up. He tried to call me again but I continued to ignore it. I huffed. We were so tired of receiving calls from fake managers. That's all we had been getting recently, was people pretending to be managers. It was shit. I blocked the number and began cleaning the house for Grace and Greg along with Kyle.