𝟐𝟐

The worst parts of summer have subsided. The temperature of autumn will carry them well and they should arrive at Erebor mid autumn and arrive back during the start of winter. Fingers glided through the mess of locs around Awarthons hair. The temptation to cut it grew more and more when it was free and wild. Yet Legolas skilled hands braided tightly and with his archery hunted for a leather band to secure the hair. No, it wasn't a major length difference. It's just at an awkward length. Simular to that of Striders hair at his shoulders and a little more. Just enough to be put in a braid with tedious fly aways. His hair was bound into a leather wrap, which was secured with green ribbon. Words unable to be understood by those outside spoke as free-flowing laughs could be heard from behind the cracked door.

Three horses and a pony waited outside. Already packed up with equipment and things for the road. Enough food for a hobbit on the pony and just enough for an elf. Awarthon gave power to Cenred until Legolas returned. For he would be back sooner. From what both strider and Legolas have spoken to him. It had to do with a nearby orc pack that they might run into.

In these times, it was no shocker of such happening. Both parties knew they could handle them selves. That Awarthon was well skilled enough to make up for Bilbos' lack of fight. Yet it still worried, Legolas. To be parted from Awarthon. Will this be another 500 years without each other? No. Of course not. It was a looming anxiety that seemed daunting until the realization set in that they would return. Even somehow, death strikes them. They would be reunited in the Halls of Mandos in Valinor.

"Your thoughts grow dim, Legolas," Awarthon spoke softly as he slid on his gear. Clasping on various bottles to his sides of potions to aid and assist them. Already did fly away hairs start dancing around Awarthons face as he pulled on his green Tunic. "The Jounry will be safe and well, beloved. Trust in me as I trust in you," he spoke softly as he walked over, setting his head on Legolas's chest. "Your heart follows the trees. The leaves sing of wind to you. Your marks will it and so will mine. I will sing and let the wind carry it to ease your heart," he spoke gently and kissed his hand.

It was comforting. To know though miles apart. Whispers of their existence would be carried. Awarthon fixed Legolas's effortlessly perfect hair. The braid done was held with a vine ad secured firmly. Legolas didn't reply. There was no need to speak. He lowered his head to lean on Awarthons. Watching as the pure white hair laid in waves. No longer did it hold onto the last drops of amber. It was a pure snow white.

Awarthon stepped back as he put on his cloak. The rose had been replaced. Of course, the rose clasp was still worn somewhere else. On his boot. But it had been changed for a Moon flower. A beautifully deadly flower that many overlooked. And found nearby in plenty where the sun shown most. This had become a sort of symbol that Awarthon had adorned, and many others had as well. A symbol of even in the dark can something beautiful arise. A bloomed moonflower clasp in the daylight. How the clasp opened and shut was with a turn to have it bloom as it does at night and close just as it did in the day. Legolas had adorned this symbol more subtle in the embroidery of his clothes.

...

Bilbo and Awarthon made good company.

"She took off with my spoons. I don't trust her for one minute. If I come back and she has them once more, I won't be very pleased. Thank you vary much," Bilbo exclaimed, causing a laugh from Awarthon. "It would be like if I ran off with your dishes,"

Awarthon nodded as he walked along the horse. "Well, you were presumed dead. You have lovely furniture, at least this time we alerted people of your departure," Awarthon shrugged as he messed with his fly aways. It had been a day since they left. And still, they had been making wonderful company. Filled with comfortable silence, heart to hearts, and roars of laughter. Singing songs they heard while with the Dwarves and playful arguing on who got the lyrics right. It was nice having a friend around. Someone other than Legolas. It was different. Being able to talk freely of him or about them. Without it being seen more as a "us talk," nothing he spoke of was negative.