Chapter 19

Start the music when indicated 🎶🎶.

Good luck.

Chapter 19

Scott and I walked into the house at the same time, seeing mom standing in our dark kitchen.

Scott closed the door, "Hey, sorry I'm back so late, I was closing up at the clinic. I got a few more hours to earn a little extra..." He trailed off, his eyes finding the red duffel bag from under his bed, "money..."

Mom turned around, looking at the two of us, "How much more did you need?" She asked, incredulous.

Scott stepped up, "This is payment from the dead pool. We found it in Garret's locker." He said, gesturing to me.

My eyes widened as he brought me into it, and I gave him a hard kick to his ankle, making him cough in an attempt to cover up his groan of pain.

"This belongs to Derek." she said, "So, your just keeping it safe for him in a gym bag underneath your bed?"

I shrugged, "Technically it's a duffel bag."

She rose an eyebrow at me, giving me a sharp look.

I coughed, "But it can be called a gym bag, yeah, gym bag is good."

She nodded, looking back to Scott for an answer.

He just looked from the bag to mom, his eyes widening, making him look like a lost puppy.

Mom sighed, "How long have you had it?" She asked.

He sighed, "Too long."

"You know you have to give it back, right?"

"I was going to." He mumbled, looking down.

She sighed, "Do I wanna know why you haven't?"

He looked down, trying to say something to explain everything to her.

I laid a hand on his shoulder, giving it a reassuring squeeze as I spoke, "Because of you." I said to Mom, looking down.

I heard her breath catch in her throat, "Because of me?"

Scott and I shared a sad look, and Mom looked to the ground, "You mean because we've been struggling a little?"

My hand fell from Scott's shoulder, feeling guilty after what I've been doing against him, "Mom, we've been struggling a lot."

"Oh.." She sighed, running the back of her neck, "The two of you can save people's lives.." she said, "But you cannot save them from life. Life is full of struggles."

Scott shook his head, "But it doesn't have to be." He exclaimed.

"Honey.."

"Do you know what just one of these can do?" I asked, picking up one of the stacks of money, "This gets us a new roof." I said.

Scott picked up the one beside it, "And this pays for Stiles' MRI." He picked up another, "This one pays for Eichen House."

I led my hands to anther stack, "And this one means that you don't have to work the double shift at the hospital and come home totally exhausted."

She looked down, picking up one of the stacks, "What about this one?"

She handed it to Scott, and we both stared at the bloodstained money.

We nodded sadly, and I went upstairs, taking a long shower before going to bed.

**

"Katherine?.." Someone whispered.