015. THE WHOLE TRUTH

"Don't let it get in your head. Three of them and two of us. That's some typical Kook shit right there." JJ told his friends as they were all helping out at Heyward's shop.

"Hell, yeah." Kie agreed with him as she worked behind the counter.

"What was your thought process, using your head?" JJ questioned and both girls raised their eyebrows, not knowing what JJ meant by Pope "using his head."

"I don't know, man. I just kind of acted off instinct." Pope shrugged. "I was a cornered animal."

"Hey, Pope, someone here to see you," Heyward called out as he entered his shop. The four teenagers all snapped their heads over to see who was there, and their stomachs dropped when they realized it was Officer Shoupe.

"Evening, officer." Pope gulped as he watched Shoupe walk into the shop.

Scarlett walked over to where JJ was, grabbing his hand and squeezing it slightly.

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property." Shoupe continued walking towards Pope.

The dark-skinned boy immediately snapped his head over to JJ and Scarlett who both stood there terrified of what was going to happen to their friend.

Both blondes immediately started mouthing the words "deny, deny, deny."  To Pope.

"What?" Heyward muttered, not believing that his son would do such a thing.

"Hands where I can see 'em." Shoupe walked behind the counter and pulled out his handcuffs. "Young lady, out of my way." He moved past Kie.

"Whoa. Shoupe, what'd he do?" Heyward was unusually very calm.

"Take a look at the warrant." Shoupe handcuffed Pope and began trying to leave the shop.

"Sorry, you're arresting him?" Kie questioned in disbelief as Shoupe ignored her.

"You're just arresting my boy?" Heyward began to yell. "Shoupe, are you listening?"

"Whatever you say can and will be held against you in the court of law." Shoupe ignored everyone who was asking him questions. "You have the right to an attorney."

"How much did they pay you, man?" JJ began to yell as Shoupe began walking to the entrance with Pope.

JJ, Scarlett, Kie, and Heyward all followed Pope and Shoupe out of the shop. They were all yelling and telling him that this must've been a mistake.

Just as Shoupe opened the door for Pope to enter the cop car, JJ spoke up.

"It wasn't him!" JJ yelled as he stood beside his girlfriend.

Scarlett's heart dropped as she heard those words slip out of JJ's mouth because she knew exactly what was about to happen.

"It was me." He fought down the tears that welled up in his eyes as he did this for Pope.

Scarlett's eyes filled with tears as she watched the scene unfold in front of her.

"JJ—" she tried to grab his arm, but he began walking towards Shoupe.

"He tried to talk me out of it, but I was mad because he'd just been beaten up. I was so sick of those assholes from Figure Eight that I lost my shit. I can't let you take the blame for somethin' that I did." JJ stopped walking when he landed in front of Shoupe. "You've got too much to lose."