Chapter 3

Molly and I go to the new apartment. She is living with my parents and I because she can't live alone. I've always wondered who her parents were. She only talked about her dad. I unlock the door and find Uriah and Tobias talking, "Hey," I say. I take Molly into our bedroom. "Top or bottom bunk?" I ask. "Bottom," she answers.

"What'd your paper say?" She asks, "Fighter," I answer. "Mine too," she says. We lounge around for a while, then go to the cafeteria for lunch. This time I sit with Marlene, Uriah, Molly, and Peter. "What did your slip say?" Peter asks to no one in particular.

"Raven and I got fighter," Molly says. "Me too," Uriah, Marlene, and Peter say simultaneously. "Did everyone get that?" I ask, "No, your parents got 'distraction,'" Uriah answers. "What?" I ask, "You know, like bait," he says. That means they have a higher risk at being killed.

"I don't know if this is an uncomfortable question but how did they get your body if you died in the wall?" I ask Marlene randomly, "They actually got me recently," she answers, "they just sent someone in." We don't talk much the rest of lunch. When we all finish we say bye and go to our new living quarters.

"That's kind of cool that us and our friends got the same position," Molly says. "Yeah," I reply as I climb onto the top bunk of our bunk bed. I hear a sort of scraping sound, "What are you doing?" I ask, "Writing in my diary," she answers.

"Why?"

"Because I want to have it published, like a history book. So the people of the future know what life was like for someone of the past. Plus, I need something to do for the next few hours before dinner."

"Wow. Did you always have that?"

"Yup. Even before I went to jail."

"I never saw you write in it."

"I wrote at night, while you were sleeping."

"Oh."

I take a thirty minute nap. When I wake up I look down to see if Molly is still there, which she is. I think of Jared, he would've liked Molly. It's only been less than twenty four hours but I miss him so much. I wish I could hold onto his hand one more time. Tobias walks into the room.

"Raven," he says, "Johanna wants you to go to her office." "Why?" I ask, "I don't know," he answers. I shrug and walk down to her office. "Hi," I say, "Listen, I have a little bit of the revival serum. I only have enough to last someone twenty four hours. I'm going to use it on Jared."

My face lights up, I can spend one more day with him. She grabs a syringe and injects it into his chest. We wait a few minutes and then I see him inhale. "Jared?" I ask, he sits up. "Raven," He says, "what's going on?" Johanna sighs.

"This is going to be heartbreaking to explain. Son, you're supposed to be dead. We have a little bit of revival serum. Jared, you're going to die in twenty four hours," Johanna explains. I see a bit a fear mixed with sadness fill Jared's face. "What?" He says, choking back tears. I hug him tightly. I feel him do the same.

"I'm going to make you're last day the best day of you're life," I say while tearing up a bit. We let go and he winks at me.

Just like he did when we first met.

I laugh a little and cry. He grabs my hand, I smile and rest my head on his shoulder. "I want to spend some time with you too so come to me after a while," Johanna says. I take Jared to a crop field, "Tag," I laugh. I tap his shoulder and run through the rows of crops. He chases after me, we continue for an hour.

I hear the dinner bell and we walk to the cafeteria. When we walk in everyone goes silent. I hear people murmuring Jared's name. We sit with Peter and Molly. Peter drops his jaw, "Am I dreaming?" He asks. "No. Johanna had a little bit of revival serum. It's only good for twenty four hours.

Peter stands up and gives him a hug. "Molly, this is Jared, Jared this is Molly," I say. They shake hands. I remember when Jared taught me that shaking hands is a greeting. He sits down next to me. "I'm sorry but I can't believe Jared is alive," Peter says. "I understand, I mean it's not everyday you get to talk to someone who is supposed to be dead," Jared laughs.

I love his sarcastic demeanor. Molly laughs, "I'm sorry but this is so weird," she says. Jared smiles, "This is actually sort of funny. I'm almost like a mystery or a miracle," he says. After dinner Jared goes to Johanna's office. When I open the door to Molly and my room my mom stops me.

"Was I seeing things or was Jared sitting with you at dinner?" She asks, "He was there. Johanna has some revival serum but it'll only last twenty four hours," I explain. "Oh," she says, and goes to her room. I go onto my bed and Molly goes on hers.

"Hey, quick question, why'd you choose to join Johanna's army?" I ask. "So I can see my parents," she says. "Your parents?" I ask. "Oh right. I've never told you this but my parents work in the Bureau. I'm not sure if my mom is still alive but I know for sure my dad is. His name is David, have you heard of him?" Molly explains. I have heard of him.

Because he's the person who killed my mom.