Chapter 14

"If he was on their side why would he be here?" I ask, "and why would he tell you only?" "He told Johanna and I. He left them. Then we told him we would act like he never said anything so he wouldn't have to kill himself. He couldn't stand the guilt of breaking his promise," Caleb says. "What's the secret?" I ask, "I'm sorry Raven but he died protecting that secret. I'll tell you when the time is right," he says. He goes back into the cafeteria, but I don't follow.

I decide not to go back in, so I just walk around Amity. What secret could be so important? I try to not to worry about it. I need someone to talk to but nobody wants to talk to me. Especially since everyone thinks I killed Sam. I walk through the woods outside of Amity, a bullet passes me. "It's Raven! Hold your fire!" I hear someone call, I recognize the voice. It's one of Jack's guards.

He rushes over to me. I try to run but he grabs my shoulder. "Relax, I'm not here to hurt you," he says, "my name's Rick. I was one of your escorts back at Candor. I'm so sorry. I never wanted to hurt you, but Jack had his ways of controlling me." I raise an eyebrow, "how'd you know where to find me?" I ask.

"I wasn't necessarily looking for you. We need refuge. The Bureau isn't just after you guys they're after everyone. We knew Johanna would be willing to help us," he answers. "If she does allow you to stay, don't ever come anywhere near me," I say, and walk away. "I'm sorry," he says, and I pause. I shouldn't have said that, because I'm kind of in the same situation. I killed someone without knowing I was going to.

I turn around. "Come with me," I say. I lead them to Johanna's office, and she stares at them in shock. She stands up, "Rick?" She says and goes to hug him. "Wait you know each other?" I ask, "of course we do," Rick says, "Johanna's my mom." My eyes widen, "Jared has a brother?" I ask, Johanna nods. "Well where is he?" Rick asks. Johanna sighs, "His life is temporarily on hold," Johanna says.

"What do you mean his life is 'temporarily on hold?'" Rick asks. "He's dead. But we're going to get him the revival serum," she answers. He looks at me then back at Johanna, "I'm coming with you," he says. "No you aren't. I can't loose you too. Besides, I have an army that doesn't need your assistance," she says.

"Add me to your army," he says firmly. "No. There isn't enough time to train you anyways," Johanna says. "When do you guys leave?" He asks, "Tomorrow," Johanna answers quickly. "What?!" I ask in shock, "That's right. We can't hold it off any longer. We have lots to take care of," she says. She goes to a microphone, "Attention members of my army, please report to my office immediately," she says.

Within minutes everyone arrives, "What's going on?" Marlene asks. "We are leaving earlier than planned," Johanna says. "When is earlier than planned?" Uriah asks. "Tomorrow," Johanna answers, "But we aren't ready!" Caleb says. "Yes you are. You all know what you need to do. That's all you need to know," she says, "oh, and Peter will be replacing Sam."

We look at each other in fear, "You will all be dressed in protective gear that will block out dangerous gases and minor bullet wounds. You will each have different tools to support your different jobs. You will each be equipped with earpieces that connect all of you and myself. To talk, all you need to do is triple tap anywhere on your uniform. I'm going to give you each a map of the bureau and codes. You have to memorize them by after dinner. By that time you will come back here. Any questions?" Johanna says.

Nobody even moves, "Excellent," she says and hands us the maps and code book. Everyone leaves except Rick. I'm surprised no one asked about him.