Chapter 4

I attempt to go to sleep, with one thought in my mind: Molly's dad killed my mom. Well, technically he didn't really kill her but still. I climb down the ladder of our bunk bed and go outside. I lay in the grass embedded with snow and look up at the star filled sky.

"Is this your thing? Laying in the snow late at night?" I hear Jared say. I smile, "Hey," I say. He lays next to me, "I can't believe after tomorrow afternoon I'll be dead," he says.

"I know. It's not fair."

"At least I get to spend one more good day with you."

"Yeah. But it must be awkward being in the same place as your killer."

"Who killed me?"

"Well first of all there's these people called the Levvergents. They are under the same serum you're under, except they were brainwashed to work for the bureau. Uriah was the name of the Levvergent who killed you. But it wasn't intentional, he didn't know what he was doing."

"Wow. I could have still been alive if only we didn't leave your apartment."

"Jared, I'm so sorry."

"Don't be. I don't want you to be sad. When I die again, I'll always want you to find happiness. Even when you wish I was here with you."

"What happens when you die?"

"Nothing. It's almost as if you're sleeping without dreaming."

"Wow."

"But Raven, when I'm gone, I want you to always remember what I told you a while back. It's not that you want to be alone, it's that you don't know how not to be. You're going to find many people in you're life, you may even fall in love again. But let those people in."

"I won't fall in love again. You're the only person I would ever want to be with. Even if we aren't together yet."

"You're going to have to let go of me."

"I can't. And I won't."

"Yes you will. You'll live on and live a beautiful long life. And if you can't be happy for yourself then be happy for me."

"Okay, Jared."

"Hey, you know today I turned fourteen?"

"Really? I turn fourteen in three days."

"Funny? Well then since I won't see you, happy birthday."

"Happy birthday to you too."

"You know what we should do? I saw some dauntless cake in the cafeteria, let's have a mini birthday party for ourselves."

"Sure."

We run to a storage room and grab fourteen candles, then we go to the cafeteria. Jared gets the cake and brings it to the table, "Happy birthday to us," he says, "let's make a wish." "But Jared, my wish already came true, all I wanted was one more day with you," I say. "I have a wish," he says and blows out the candles.

"What was it?" I ask, "I can't tell you," he says, "but I will give you this. Only open it when you are going through a time of sadness and despair." He gives me a slip of paper. I nod, "Pinky swear?" He asks, I laugh, "Pinky swear." He wraps an arm around my shoulder.

We sit together, enjoying each other's company. "I'm never letting go," I say. He smiles, "I only wish I could say the same." I hold onto his hand, very tightly. "Are you okay?" He asks, I shake my head. "It's going to be okay," he says. "No it won't. By tomorrow night you'll be dead," I say. "But don't let tomorrow ruin right now," he says.

I give him a tight hug. "I'm going to go to the Bureau, and I'm going to get more revival serum for you," I say. "I hope so," he says. I want him to stay. I've never wanted anything so bad in my entire life. "Let's go back to our living quarters," he says, "No!" I say. "Okay, we can stay a little longer," he says. I close my eyes.

"What are you guys doing here?" I hear a voice call. We fell asleep on the cafeteria chairs. "Uh, just cleaning up," I answer to Johanna. "Okay," she says, "well breakfast is in five." I wake up Jared, "Today," I say. He nods, "Don't worry," he says. I can't stop worrying.

We go to our living quarters and get ready for breakfast. "Where were you last night?" Molly asks. "I was cleaning up the cafeteria," I say. We walk to the cafeteria with my parents. Molly and I find a table with Peter and Jared. I sit next to Jared, "Well you guys spend way too much time in front of the mirror," Peter says, "it took you guys forever to get here." "Shut up," I say.

We go in line for food, I don't grab much but I watch Jared grab all the sweets he can put his hands on. I laugh, "Hey, if I'm dying in a few hours I might as well eat as much sweets as possible," he says. Uriah walks by, and he goes up to Jared, "I didn't kill you! You're alive!" Uriah tells him. "No you did, he's under the revival serum, it wears of in a few hours," I explain.

Uriah gives a look of sadness and guilt. "I'm so sorry," he says and places a hand on Jared's shoulder, "Don't touch me," he snaps. Uriah sadly walks away, and I can tell Jared feels bad for snapping. We go back to the table and I hold Jared's hand the whole time.

"Are you guys dating?" Molly asks, "No, we're only fourteen," I say, "we're just best friends." Peter laughs, "Sure," He says. Jared flicks his forehead. We finish eating and leave the cafeteria, "One hour," I say. I begin to cry and Jared gives me a hug, "Remember what I told you," he says. I "For you," I say. "And remember, Solvergent refers to the past. You'll never be alone again," he says.

"I almost forgot, there's something else I want to give you," he tells me.
He leans in and kisses me. We kiss for a while until I watch him fall to the ground.