Chapter 12

"Oh Tobias. I always knew you were broken. Broken by your father and Beatrice. Your so broken you can't even properly take care of your own daughter. So scared to mess up," Natalie says, he narrows his eyes at her, "I've moved passed my problems. But anyway, why, no, how are you here?" My dad asks.

"I'm a Levvergent. But by choice. You see when I worked in the Bureau I worked on the secret revival serum project. I told them if I die young to use it on me," she says. She walks up to me and puts a hand on my cheek, "You're little Raven is amazing," she says. I shiver at her touch, "So what are you here for?" I ask.

"I want you and Beatrice to join the Bureau. They have such great ideas. We'd love to have you," she says. My mom walks in, "Mom?" She asks. Without a question asked she runs to hug her mom. "I'm never letting go," my mom says, "I'm glad to here that," Natalie says, "so you'll join me and the Bureau." My mom pulls away. "Mom your not still with them are you?" She asks, "I never stopped believing in them," Natalie says.

"Well then you know what they did to me. And not just to me to my daughter. They turned innocent people into murderers. You have no idea how much I've missed you and dreamed you'd come back but no, mom, I won't join you," my mom says. "It's real shame Beatrice, you and Tobias would be good working in the Bureau. But I'm here to bring you there. And if you denied, I had to do this," Natalie says.

She points a gun at my head and another at my dad's. My mom takes a knife from a table behind and throws it at Natalie's side, and she falls to the ground. My mom's eyes grow wide, "I killed her," she says, "I killed my mom." My dad goes to hug her, "She wasn't herself," he says. "I wish we could have saved her," my mom says. I walk to Natalie and kneel beside her. I see her stomach move.

She isn't dead. She's still breathing. I feel her hands wrap around my neck. "Mom!" I try, my parents turn around and my mom steps on Natalie's wrist. I see a spark on her face, then it becomes pixelated. Once it clears up it reveals a face I've never seen before. "Nita?" My parents ask simultaneously, "You'll pay," the girl says. We leave her dead on the floor. Minutes later everyone shows up.

"What took you so long?" I ask, "We saw a stranger entering so we went under emergency lock down didn't you hear?" Autumn asks. My parents and I look at each other, "Obviously not," my dad says. "Johanna, why didn't you tell us?" My mom asks. "Well, I saw Natalie Prior, your dead mother, and I wasn't sure why she was here so I wanted you guys to deal with her," Johanna explains.

She notices Nita dead on the floor and calls for security to take her out. "Anyways. Today I want to train you for your new roles. But not here, in Dauntless. I won't be coming with you but I have Dauntless headquarters wired so I can monitor your progress," Johanna says. She calls for a guard to escort us out.

We go by the train, "Get ready to jump," he says. "Excuse me?" Sam asks, "I said get ready to jump," the guard says. Everyone starts jumping except Sam. He continues running, trying to find a time to jump. I grab his arm and fling him on. "Thank you," he says. Kendall glares at me. "Don't mind Kendall, she pretty much hates anyone who takes attention from her," Autumn says.

"I've noticed," I say. That scares me, because she's supposed to be my partner. If she doesn't like me she won't mind risking me. I sit in the corner of the train car and watch the passing view. We're doing all this for everyone. For a better future. Even if we might not live to see it.

"Get ready to jump!" A guard yells, "Again?!" Sam asks. We all stand up, and look out for when to jump. I grab Sam's hand and run. "I can't," he says. We reach mid air and I feel his hand slip from mine. I stumble onto the building and hear a loud scream. I look over the building to see Sam's dead body on the concrete. "No!" I yell, I bury my face in my hands.

My parents rush to me, "He's dead! I killed him!" I cry, "Who?!" My dad asks. "Sam," I say, "I held his hand and he let go!" I try to stay calm, to not let them see me cry. Everyone else looks over in shock. Then their eyes are drawn to me, "I'm sorry," I say. I run and jump into the net, I don't know where to go. I run through a couple of hallways then find myself on a bridge.

Except it's not a bridge. It's the chasm. I look down, and remember my mom telling me about all the people who've escaped their problems just be taking a few steps. I think about it for a second. Taking my life to free myself. But I can't. There are so many people I would be affecting. My parents, Molly, Caleb, and possibly Jared.

But I have to think about myself too.