Chapter 11

I walk to Johanna's office. I'm the first person to show up. After me is Liam and Kendall. After them everyone shows up one by one. "Good your all here," Johanna says, "as some of you may know one of our soldiers, Molly, is the daughter of David, the leader of the Bureau. She was against him and was on our side. Sadly, he took her and may be plotting to use her against us."

"So are we gonna try to get her back?" Caleb asks, "I was just going to get to that," Johanna responds, "I am reassigning everyone. Tris, Autumn, and Uriah will rescue Molly. Caleb and Tobias will wipe the program that is controlling the Levvergents. Christina, Liam, and Sam will hack the security systems. And Raven and Kendall will get the survival serum."

We all nod in agreement. "Okay. You're all dismissed," she says. We all silently leave. The dinner bell rings. I skip dinner for something more important. I go to the garden and grab a rose, then I go to Jared's living quarters. Inside his body lies in a glass coffin. I walk up to it and open it up. I carefully place the rose I brought on his chest.

His kind brown eyes are covered by his eyelids. His dark black hair swept up in a quiff. His skin is colorless and his lips are purple. I kneel beside the coffin and grab onto his cold hand. "I'm gonna bring you back," I whisper. My best friend. Nothing but a lifeless body. I want him back so bad.

I can't cry though. He wouldn't want me to. I try to smile but my lips refuse. I stand up and close the coffin. I slowly force myself to leave, on my way out I bump into Peter. "What are you doing here?" We ask simultaneously, "I'm here to see Jared!" I step out of his way, "Sorry," I say.

I see Kendall at the end of the hallway. She notices me and walks away. "Kendall!" I call, she ignores me. "Kendall!" I call again. No response. I run up to her and grab her shoulders, "What the hell do you want?" She asks. "Why are you so annoyed by me, what did I do?" I ask. "Everything revolves around you. You get the most out of this attack. 'Keep Raven alive.' Well what about the rest of us!" She shouts in my face.

"You think I want this? You think I enjoy having to only hope that I'll get the revival serum to bring back my dead best friend? You think I like that we have to save my other best friend from her psychotic father? The only reason Johanna wants me alive is so that if Jared comes back he won't be sad to hear that I'm dead. Other than that Johanna doesn't care about me!" I shout back.

That shuts her right up. "I'm sorry," is all that she says right before she walks away. This time I let her. I go to my living quarters and sit on the couch. Alone. Friendless. Caleb knocks on the door but I don't answer. Then I remember what Jared told me. 'Don't shut people out.' He knocks again, "Come in," I sigh. He opens the door and sits next to me.

"Hey," he says, I weakly wave. "What's wrong?" He asks. "Everything. Just everything," I answer. He puts an arm around my shoulder, "Trust me, in the end it'll all be worth it," he says. "I hope so," I say. My dad comes in with Zeke, who waves at me and Caleb. "Where's Beatrice?" Caleb asks, "Tris. And she's with Christina, Marlene, and Uriah" my dad answers.

"She'll always be Beatrice to me," Caleb says. Caleb quickly hugs me, "I'm gonna go now. By Raven," he says. "Bye," I say, and he walks out the door. Zeke and Tobias sit by my sides, "Raven you really need to get out more," Zeke says. "I'm always out," I say defensively, "Yeah, by yourself," Zeke says, "you need friends."

"I have friends," I say, "I have Jared, and Molly. Oh, and Peter too." He sighs, "Jared is dead, Molly's being held captive, and Peter is more than twice your age," he says. "Right," I say. "Why don't you spend time with Kendall and Sam or even Molly's friends," my dad asks. I shrug my shoulders. I decide not to tell him about my encounter with Kendall. Sam is too soft for my taste. But Grant and Maya work. Except I want friends of my own.

"Tomorrow at breakfast I'll try to meet someone new," I say, "Good," Tobias says. Tobias and Zeke start talking and I end up falling asleep on my dad's shoulder. I wake up with my head on the armrest of the couch. I quickly get ready before the breakfast bell rings. When it does I run to the cafeteria. Johanna has a group of people fixing the shattered windows. I scan the cafeteria looking for anyone my age.

All the way in the back I see a girl about my age sitting alone. I walk over to her, "Can I sit?" I ask, she nods. "I'm Lana," the girl says, "Raven," I say. We talk for a while and she seems pretty nice but she doesn't seem like friend material. After breakfast I walk with my dad to Johanna's office.

When we reach her office we are the only ones there. "Where's Johanna?" I ask, "I wish I knew," my dad answers. "It was more than just an old accusation, Tobias Eaton," I hear someone say. Tobias and I turn around and he says a name that will either change our lives for the better or worse.

"Natalie?"