six

I stay at the hospital for a couple more days. I don't see Taehyung again, but Iseul shows up each day, staying as long as she can before the nurse kicks her out, going out of her way to make sure I'm entertained and comfortable at all times.

I maintain my gentle, amicable facade around her. This makes her open up to me more, and bit by bit I discover that she isn't always all shy and can actually get pretty bubbly and chatty when she wants. She's just so sweet, so pure it makes my heart squeeze, but I've reached a point of no return here.

I'm going through with this thing even if it means that I'll have turned into a cold, unfeeling bitch by the end.

_______________________________________

Iseul is in high spirits when she comes to pick me up after I'm discharged.

"I added the final touches to your room this morning," She beams, taking my meager backpack and slinging it over her own shoulder. "You're going to love it. But I'm not giving any spoilers - you'll have to see for yourself!"

I give her a genuine smile. "I can't wait!"

We make our way out of the hospital building, and then she guides me to this sleek black BMW parked nearby. Next to it, arms folded, stands this tall, burly guy, all serious looking in a dark suit, his black hair neatly slicked back.

Iseul happily gives her hands a couple of claps. "So, Narae, this here is Dominik. He's our right hand man, our steward, butler, body guard, etc - he's pretty much family, too. Dom - this is Narae."

He gives me a wordless, unsmiling nod, which I pleasantly return, and then he moves to open the backseat car door for us. He patiently waits for us to get in, and then after closing door after us, he goes behind the wheel and revs the engine.

I can't keep from fidgeting during the entire ride. Shit's about to go down.

Half an hour later, we're pulling up the drive of the mansion.

"We're hereee!" Iseul sings out.

I press my face on the window, making it seem like it's my first time here. "Woah..."

Iseul titters, opening the door and hopping out. "Come on,"

I take her offered hand and follow suit Dominik hands me my backpack before he takes the car and disappears down another section of the driveway, probably to some private garage.

"Let's go," Iseul steps up beside me, taking my hand and steering me toward the front door. "My mom is expecting us inside. Taehyung Oppa is away for work right now but he'll be back tomorrow."

Oh, well.

We go through the entrance and step into this massive lobby with pristine, white marble flooring and walls. At the far end, there are two staircases that meet in the middle on a landing and sweep upward in a flowing arc. A glittering chandelier hangs suspended from twenty feet domes.

Iseul leads me into a living room on the first floor, where her mother is perched on a sofa, a leg over another.

"Narae, this is my mom, Hyejin. Mom, this is Narae."

Her gaze lifts slowly, piercing me with shrewd, dark eyes. A frown plays over her lips, and as I watch, she picks up a heavy crystal glass and sips the amber liquid inside. Whiskey, probably.

"Hello." Her voice is flat and polished, and she sets the glass down but holds onto it, as if she's expecting to need another sip momentarily. "It's nice to meet you, Narae."

Is it?

I do my best not to squirm under her appraisal, lifting my chin and keeping my shoulders back. "You too... ma'am."