forty-two

Six Months Later

Adjusting my lace gloves, I gaze into the ornate mirror for a final check, barely recognizing the girl staring back.

The black satin gown hugs my torso, the floor-length full skirt flowing out around me like a dark waterfall. A daring slit runs up the side, exposing my leg. Jieun insisted the dark hue would make me stand out among the other debutantes in pastels.

I turn from the mirror with a deep breath, steeling myself as I round the corner. Seongjin waits with Thea, both of them dressed to the nines too.

"Narae, you look gorgeous!" Thea says, kissing my cheek. Seongjin offers an approving nod beside her.

"Try not to be so nervous, you'll do fantastic," He assures me with an encouraging smile.

But I feel far from confident about tonight. I sigh inwardly as Seongjin explains once more about this ridiculous debutante ball tradition in his and Jieun's wealthy social circle. Supposedly it's to present all the eligible young ladies to high society.

I hadn’t wanted to attend, not wanting to feel out of place amongst spoiled, rich socialites. But Jieun, Thea, and Nessa spent the past month cajoling me, obsessing over dresses and accessories. They insisted participating would be an extraordinary experience. I smooth my gloves, wishing I was anywhere else.

Seongjin takes my arm in one hand and Thea’s in the other. My heels click against marble as we approach the grand staircase. The walls are lined with flashing cameras and onlookers buzzing in anticipation. Seongjin grins, giving our hands a reassuring squeeze before we start our descent. I plaster a smile on my ruby red lips, though my stomach is in knots as the spotlights blind me. What have I gotten myself into?

At the bottom of the stairs, Seongjin presses a kiss to my gloved hand before releasing me into the sea of partygoers. While Thea confidently glides away, I drift around the perimeter, smiling and nodding awkwardly at other debutantes.

After a while, my feet carry me toward the dance floor, drawn in by the swirling sea of silk and laughter. I spot Nessa waltzing gracefully in Jimin's arms, a soft smile on her lips as they gaze at each other.

I feel a small smile tug at my lips. Good for them.

Over the past several months, Thea and I have steadily bonded with both Jieun and Seongjin, as Nessa has also grown close to them in her own way. But it's Jimin who my friend has bonded most with. He played no small part in Nessa accepting Jieun's proposal to stay with us permanently rather than return to our old apartment in the city.

The two haven't put any labels on it yet as far as I can tell, but there's definitely something going on between them. I get the feeling it'll be official soon enough.

Suddenly, a voice interrupts my thoughts. "May I have this dance, milady?"

I turn to find this unfamiliar cute guy behind me, his seafoam green eyes glittering under tousled blond curls.

I place my hand in his with a smile. "Of course, good sir."

He whisks me onto the floor as the orchestra strikes up another waltz. I allow myself to relax in the dance, gazing up at his handsome face. For the first time tonight, I feel a flutter of excitement for what this evening may bring.

"I don't believe I caught your name, miss," The guy says with a smile as we glide across the dance floor.

"It's Narae. And you are?"

"They call me Evan. A pleasure, Narae."

I grin up at him. "The pleasure is all mine, Evan. Do you attend these balls a lot?"