fourteen

The moment I get home, I seek Iseul out. I find her tucked away in a cozy nook near the library entrance, curled up in an oversized armchair with a book. I make my way to her, my footsteps barely making a sound on the plush carpet. Iseul glances up from her book as I reach her, a bright smile stretching across her face.

"Welcome back," She says, setting her book aside and scooting to the side a little to make space for me. "It was amazing, right - did you have fun?"

"Yeah, it was epic. Taehyung is an awesome tour guide." I grin, joining her in the armchair, and then I make my tone all gushy. "Hey, so just after, we ran into Jennie in his office. Oh my gosh, she's so pretty, and so nice!"

This totally sucks, but it's the only safe way I can think of to get information about Taehyung and Jennie's relationship from Iseul. "She and your brother are such a cute couple," I cheerily go on. "How come you've never told me about them before?"

Iseul gives a delicate shrug. "Dunno... I guess I never got the right opportunity to bring it up."

Hmm...?

I pretend not to notice the lackluster response for now, and I say, "So then we went out for lunch together. Those two are so in love that I was totally a third wheel. They're a match made in heaven..."

"Mmm-hmm," Iseul hums, thumbing the binding of her book as she avoids my gaze.

I lean in expectantly. "What - you don't think so? She really sweet; How can anyone not like her?"

"It's not that I don't like her," Iseul murmurs, shifting uncomfortably. She bites her lip, looking hesitant, so, I reach out and lay my hand on top of hers, give her an encouraging nod. "You know you can talk to me, right...? We're best friends now, aren't we?"

"Yeah, of course, Narae," Iseul says, lacing her fingers through mine. "It's just... the thing is... Jennie and I aren't very close. It's mostly got to do with a personality clash sort of thing - we're just so... different? I don't know, she just gives me this vibe that makes it hard for me to loosen up around her. I mean, I've tried reaching out to her a couple of times, but we've never truly clicked. But who cares - I'm just a stupid, overemotional creature. Like you said, she's really likeable; Tae adores her, and mom too, so yeah."

She nestles herself in the plush cushions with a sigh. "I was really confused the first time he brought her home. She's not the type I'd always imagined he'd go for... but what do I know...? Like, it's none of my business and all, but I just can't help feeling protective. And being wary about her intentions and her ability to care for him."

She sends me a sidelong glance, a blush creeping up her cheeks, and then she adds, "This one time, I overheard this big argument of theirs. Tae was accusing Jennie of not actively listening when he shares his feelings and concerns and stuff like that, making him feel neglected."

I nod slowly, soaking up the incredible, juicy details.

"He was saying that, uh," Iseul continues, voice lowering into a whisper. "She needs to start being emotionally there for him more, and not just comfort him with sex all the time."

And just like that, my triumph vanishes.

I will not think about Taehyung and Jennie in bed. I will not think about Taehyung and Jennie in bed. I will not think about Taehyung and Jennie in bed.

"You really don't have to continue fussing over their relationship, Iseul," I say gently, giving her hand squeeze. "I'm sure it'll be fine." Once I shove Jennie to the side and take my rightful place next to your brother.