twelve

I dive under the bed at the very last minute.

I hold my breath as the door creaks open, and Daeun's pump clad feet step into the room. She moves around, oblivious to my presence, humming a song while going about her business. After a while, she flops onto her bed, her weight making the mattress squeak in protest. I strain my ears, listening intently as she makes a phone call to someone, her voice hushed but filled with a sense of urgency.

"But that's supposed to be the easiest part," She's saying. "Did you do everything like I said? ... Mm, no, it won't work - you need to start over ... How's that my problem! You should've paid more attention! ... Yeah, I think so too..."

I relax my body onto the cool floor, giving up on trying to make sense of this conversation. Minutes stretch into what's starting to feel like an eternity as it goes on and on, boring the shit out of me. Maybe I'll be 53 by the time it finally ends... That's what I get for snooping around.

Since I've nothing else to do, I let myself doze off a bit, but then I jolt awake when I hear my name.

"... such a freak. Gosh, I hate her fucking guts ... Yep. I hope Jimin fucks the attitude out of her ..."

I small huff slips out of my lips before I can clamp it down. What in the... Also am I the one with the attitude here?

" ... I know right! Better him than my Tae! ... Uh-huh, nothing has changed. He pays her barely any more attention than he does me; You've no idea how relieved and glad this makes me ... Ugh, I don't know, girl - I'm so sick of it, too. You know what, I think I'm done playing good girl. I need to do something big soon, like, finally make him see that I'm the one for him. That we're meant for each other. That we're soulmates ..."

You wish, bitch. If she wants Taehyung, then she'll need to get through me first. Plus, she's very wrong about one certain thing: even though he did at first, Taehyung doesn't see through me anymore. Something, tiny as it may be, has developed between us, and I'm planning to nurture with everything I have.

Dauen's conversation finally comes to an end. She leaves the room shortly after, her footsteps fading away into the distance. I wait long enough for her to have left before I finally emerge from my hiding place, and then I sneak back out.

A huge sigh of relief escapes me when I make it outdoors some minutes later, undiscovered.

Now I just need to figure out how to use the info I've learned about my enemy effectively.

_______________________________________

The Next Day

My selfies should be featured in an art gallery. Move over, Mona Lisa!

I raise my phone high above my head, angling it just right to capture a bit of the elegance of the hall. And then I do the classic "head tilt and pout" combination. The soft glow of the crystal chandeliers casts a warm light upon my face, enhancing my beautiful features.

Moving along, I lean against this long legged, antique table, its small polished surface reflecting my image back at me. I tilt my body slightly, focusing on trying to capture the perfect shot, and then, the double doors on my left suddenly burst open, jolting me back to reality.

Taehyung rushes out, a frenzied look on his face. His disheveled hair and furrowed brow betray a sense of urgency, and I plonk my phone down on the table and hurry to him.

"Taehyung, what's wrong??"

He frantically runs a hand through his hair. "I need Iseul right now - where is she?"