twenty-three

The moment I step into the dim lit lobby, I immediately catch sight of Iseul sitting on the stairs.

"Are you for real?" I whisper incredulously.

"Couldn't help myself," She grins, patting beside her on the stair. "Come on, tell me everything- wait, you're drenched! Now I'm even more curious, just spill already."

"It's a long story." I say, joining her on the step. I give her a summary of everything that happened tonight.

"...And then... we kissed..."

Iseul gasps loudly, clamping a hand over her mouth. "Ohmigosh, Narae, that's awesome! I knew you two were going to hit it off, but..." She scans my blank face. "shouldn't you be glowing right now or something? I mean, why do you look all meh...?"

I look down, avoiding her gaze. Everything has gone according to plan so, now I feel guilty as fuck. Because even though I've grown to like Jimin a lot, even though I enjoyed tonight, his company, the kiss - everything, I'm still using him. I have a fucking ulterior motive, while he's investing unadulterated feelings into me. And there are no guarantees that this plan will work, like zero. Because I have no idea what's going on inside Taehyung's head...

"In fact, you've been kind of down for a while now," Iseul continues, peering at me. "Also, you and Taehyung these days... Did you guys have a fight?"

"Nope," I blurt, shaking my head violently. "Everything's perfectly fine between us."

Iseul pins me with a long, serious stare. "You're not fooling me, Narae. I've also noticed something off between you and Jennie from day one. It's obvious that you guys haven't taken to each other very well. I've just been waiting and waiting for you to open up to me about it. I don't know why you won't talk to me - I tell you everything. Aren't we friends?"

"We are," I mumble, shifting uncomfortably. "But I just- can we talk about this another time? It's so late and I'm really tired." Before she can reply, I stand up and dash up the stairs to my room.

Fuck.

I'm grimacing as I slam the door closed behind me a few moments later.

Shit just keep on getting more and more complicated around here, and I don't know if I'm going to be able to cope.

_____________________________________

I sit back against the plush sofa in the living room as Doctor Lee sets his medical bag on the coffee table in front of me. "How's the arm feeling today, Narae?" He asks with a kind smile.

"It's doing much better, not as sore as before," I say. Carefully, he lifts my arm to examine the bright blue cast encasing it from wrist to elbow. His hands feel along the contours gently.

"Well, the swelling has gone down significantly. Let me just get my tools and we'll take a look inside," he says. Doctor Lee pulls out a tiny flashlight and miniature saw. With a few swift cuts, he peels back the edges of hardened plaster to reveal skin slowly regaining its healthy glow.

Peering closer, he rotates my arm this way and that, watching my facial expressions. "Not too painful I hope? No new discomfort?" I shake my head no. "Wonderful. The bone appears to have fully knitted back together. A couple more weeks and this cast will be nothing but a memory."

He seals the cast back up neatly. "You're right on track to make a full recovery. One more checkup and then we'll schedule a removal appointment. Keep taking it easy till then." Doctor Lee packs away his things and stands. "You take care now, I'll see you soon."

I nod with a smile. "Alright, thanks."

A few moments after he's disappeared out the door, Taehyung and Jennie walk in.

They're all dressed up: Taehyung is looking sharp in a fitted button-down shirt and black slim pants and Jennie is wearing a floral maxi dress with tiny straps and wedge sandals.

"We're going out," Jennie says, looping her arm through Taehyung's.

"Have fun," I say, ignoring the tightening feeling in my chest and forcing a small smile.

"We should really go on a double date sometime..."

My head snaps towards the doorway to see Jimin striding inside, hands in his pockets.

"Jimin!" And before I know it, I'm bolting off the couch and running to him. I throw my arms around his neck and smash my lips against his. Because fuck, I've never been happier to see him.

He chuckles, circling his arms around my waist. "Thrilled by my presence, cupcake?" He leans down for another kiss. "What do you say we join these two for a date?"

"Uh, no," Jennie drawls, eyes narrowing as she glances between Jimin and I in confusion.

"Maybe another time, Chim," I agree, patting his chest. "Today, I want us to just chill in my room..."

"Let's go, then," He says huskily, nudging me towards the door.

"Bye, you guys," I chirp to Taehyung and Jennie as Jimin and I saunter out, my gaze lingering on the former as he stares back at me, unblinking and expressionless.

Hmm...

A/N: "Hmm..." indeed 🤔
Your opinion matters more than you know. Vote and comment to make this story shine!