forty-one

My heart pounds in my chest as I scream Taehyung's name again, fear crashing over me.

I run to his side, dropping to my knees and desperately grabbing hold of him.

This all my fault...

The piercing sound of another gunshot shatters the air, making me flinch. I turn my gaze to see one of the cops lowering his gun after shooting Greyson in the leg, who sinks to the floor, his face contorted in pain.

As several officers move in to apprehend him, Jimin hurries over to Taehyung and I. He kneels beside us, extending a hand to check his friend's pulse.

"He's still breathing," He assures me, his voice laced with relief.

With a quick movement, Jimin pulls out his phone, his fingers flying across the screen as he dials 911.

As he makes the call, my focus remains on Taehyung, my hands trembling as I hold onto him tightly.

"Stay with me," I whisper.

_______________________________________

A Few Hours Later

Jimin and I sit in silence in the hard plastic chairs of the hospital hallway, lost in our own thoughts.

A nurse with a kind face approaches. "You poor dears. I know waiting is never easy..." She says softly. "Would you like me to connect you with one of our counselors? Speaking with someone can really help in situations like this."

Jimin and I glance at each other, then we shake our heads at the nurse.

"Thank you, but we're okay for now..." Jimin says quietly.

Just then, the surgeon emerges from Taehyung's room, still dressed in surgical blues.

"Family of Mr Kim?" He asks and we quickly stand to meet him.

He takes a deep breath. "Well, it was touch and go there for a while but we were able to get the bleeding under control. Taehyung is stable and out of danger now. It was a near thing but he pulled through, thanks to quick work from the paramedics and emergency staff. Taehyung is young and healthy so I expect he'll make a full recovery given time. You can go in and see him, but just for a few minutes as he needs his rest."

Jimin exhales a long breath like he's been holding it the whole time. I feel my own muscles relaxing as the doc's words sink in.

Taehyung is going to be okay.

Jimin places a hand on my shoulder, motioning to the door of Taehyung's room, but I shake my head no.

I become even more resolute when I spot Jennie at the other end of the hallway, making their way over with Hyejin and Iseul.

Now that I know Taehyung is going to be alright, there's no reason for me to linger.

And more importantly, he set some very clear boundaries between us that fateful day. I need to respect his space.

He still cares about me enough to have shown up at Greyson's place to “rescue me”... Knowing this should be enough to help me move on.

I should get over him. Let him go.

As I turn away, Jimin comfortingly wraps an arm around my shoulder. "I understand," He says gently. "Let me take you home."

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

A While Later

Taehyung watches with a silent sigh as his Mom and Iseul leave the hospital room.

If only Narae had come in to see him as well.

When Jimin popped in a while ago, he'd explained she wasn't up for it yet. Well, Taehyung can't exactly blame her, not after how horrible he was to her...

The door creaks open softly, drawing Taehyung's attention.

Jennie enters hesitantly, the fluorescent lights accentuating the dark circles under her eyes. She sits on the edge of the bedside chair, folding her hands neatly in her lap as her gaze meets his.

They stare at each another for a long moment.

Finally, Taehyung breaks the silence. "It's good you told them."

Mom and Iseul had seemed so disappointed when confirming they now know. But they deserved to know the truth.

"I'm moving out." Jennie responds quietly.

Taehyung nods, swallowing thickly. "I think some time apart would be good for us. A few months to breathe and figure things out. Then maybe we can talk again."

She shakes her head. "Talk about, Taehyung? Figure what out? There's no coming back from this and you know it."

"Jennie..." He reaches out to take her hand, but she withdraws it.

"Just..." She takes a steadying breath. "I'm okay, alright? I'm fine — I've been thinking a lot about stuff and yeah... Move on from all that and follow your heart. Don't hold back because of me."

She reaches into her pocket, pulling out something small. Taking Taehyung's palm into her hands, she gently places the mystery item into his open hand before closing his fingers around it.

Taehyung doesn't unfurl his hand to see what it is — he already knows.

It's the ring.

"I'm sorry, Jennie..." He says softly.

She shrugs solemnly. "Don't be. It's for the best."

A/N: Hit that vote button like it owes you money and comment like it's your best friend!