Most Beautiful Place On Earth

🥁🥁🥁 Drumroll please!!!!!! Amy + Sonic has reached over 1000 reads!!!! A fantastic present for the new year. Thank you all so much for your continued support, it really means a lot! Now, on with the story!

Sonic stared at Shadow, disbelieving what he'd just heard. Green Hills... Gone? Because of him? No, no, that couldn't be right. Shadow was wrong, he must be. "You're wrong." He muttered, voicing his thoughts as the red and black hedgehog sighed, silently fuming.

"I wish I was. But I saw it with my own eyes, Sonic. The Paradox Prism shattered and now you and I are trapped here." Shadow stood across from him, gesturing to the space around them filled with rocks. "Wherever here is." He looked down at Sonic's shoes and back at his gloves, the workings of his new powers being unravelled. "Come with me." Shadow ordered, preparing to move.

Sonic laughed, humourless. "Why? So you can beat me up again? Declare the destruction of something else I love to be my fault?" This wasn't fair, none of this was fair, he just wanted to go home. Back to Tails, Amy and Knuckles. Back to Green Hills with it's palm trees, chilidogs and one, singular Eggman with no warring cities, or overgrown forests, or endless seas, or barren wastelands. Home.

Shadow looked at Sonic, saw the desperation and loss in his face, understood how he must feel. "I also want to go home Sonic, but nothing will happen if you stand there and feel sorry for yourself. Now come." He grabbed Sonic's hand and yanked him across the rocks and space, until the pair were at the edge of the Shatterverse.

Looming before them like the ones before, this yellow entrance shone like a beacon among the darkness around them. "We need to go in here? Why?" Sonic asked.

"It's the only one I can go in." Shadow replied. "When I first got here, I tried to follow you through the red one, but only your powers allow you through them." He placed a hand against the portal and it shimmered under his touch. "You want to go home, this is the answer." Sonic nodded, took a deep breath, and pushed himself into the final of the Shatterspaces.

A blinding white light filled his vision, the sensation of passing through these portals would never be something he was used to. Sonic landed with a thud on a some grassland, only a few meters away from Shadow. Looking around, a sense of relief filled him at seeing the loop-de-loop he'd come to rely on. The rest of this new world also looked surprisingly similar: Everything was green, nothing crumbled around him and a sense of calm roamed the air. He was home.

His friends. They were here. "Tails! Amy!" Sonic sprinted off along the beautiful pathways, ridges and hills, relishing in the familiarity of it all. Unfortunately, he also left Shadow coughing in a cloud of dust, his warning choked on his lips.

"Wait, Sonic! This isn't what you think!"

The blue blur sped faster and faster towards the beach where he knew his loved ones would be. They would be there, anxious and waiting, wondering where he and Shadow had gone. 'I wonder how long it's been for them.' Time worked differently in the Shatterspaces, what if he'd been gone for years? Would they recognise him? Would Tails look up to him as an older brother still? Would Knuckles want to challenge a stranger in friendly combat? 'Amy... Will she still care for me?' The abruptness and fear in his thoughts slowed Sonic to a halt, the reality of his current situation crashing around him. This was home, yes, but was it still his home.

Thankfully, Sonic's melancholy reprieve gave Shadow time to catch up, nearly crashing into the usually hyper hedgehog. "Why have you stopped?" He asked, only mildly concerned.

"How long has it been Shadow? What if my friends don't know me anymore? What if they've all moved on?" He faced him head on, eyes blazing. "Aren't you scared?! What if Rouge doesn't remember you? Or GUN thinks you're a threat again? How can we go back to our lives- OWW!"