Blaze

Blaze

Dad (Shawn) owned a landscaping business and I was working for him, but not on the weekends. Nope. I'd put my foot down with that shit.

He'd made no effort to give a shit about us since Mom (Carla) told him to take a hike so why should I care? Every other day it was something else about how much better we'd be if we had more money or more connections. Star wanted to stay with Mom, but it was too far for her to drive to school and work at the mall and then back every day so we were stuck at Dad's. Dad cared about Fox at one point. He'd liked all of us until Brenda, the stepmonster from Hell, showed up. She'd heard of the fortune my dad gained from the lottery win and weaseled her way into his life. Also, not that it mattered to me, but she was fifteen years younger than my father.

Before shit hit the fan, Dad was turning into a douche. He was the complete opposite of my mother. The day Mom told us she'd been cheated on is the day I started to hate my father. She did get some alimony out of the divorce, but I knew she was putting it into a trust for us kids. I stayed as far away from my father and stepmother as I could.

Mom was a school counselor at the elementary school, but none of her counseling methods ever helped me. I was an angry person, but I didn't need a shrink to tell me that. I didn't care for commitments, especially with chicks. I just didn't want to settle down. Ever. I'd seen what falling in love did to people.

My father hated that I'd broken up with Erica, but that girl was the epitome of clingy asshole. She would even throw a fit when I wanted to hang out with the guys, but if I so much as dared asked where she was going it was like I'd asked her for her for the Holy Grail. She'd fallen in love with me and her cousin Rachel said I was one of maybe two guys she'd had true feelings for and I laughed at that. What was I supposed to do? Give her a cookie? Bow down to her?

Well, of course! Dad wanted me to marry and breed with the mayor's daughter. He'd even threatened to cut me out of the will until Star and my mother intervened. He flipped his lid when Erica and I split and was STILL flipping his shit over it months later. I couldn't get rid of him or my ex. I just needed some damn peace and the drugs and drinking, hell, even sex weren't cutting it.

Typically, I'd be sleeping in on Sundays, but my baby needed a tune up. I didn't like anyone touching my car, but I liked the guys at the "Eddie's" body shop I took my car to and the conversation was nice. I was standing in the middle of the lobby texting Star to come get me when SHE walked in.

Sapphire fucking Soper.