Chapter 7

(The next day)

Y/n: Ugh...

I woke up the next morning in Himeno's apartment curled up on her couch. I had a blanket covering my entire body, so I lifted it off before I swung my legs over and onto the floor. I heard something sizzling in the kitchen followed by the sound of humming. Standing up, I slowly made my way over and saw Himeno at work making breakfast. When she turned around and saw me, she nearly jumped out of her skin.

Himeno: Jesus, don't scare me like that.

Y/n: Sorry.

Himeno: Breakfast is almost finished, so you can sit over there.

She gestured to the small table beside the kitchen counter.

Y/n:  Mind if I use the bathroom to freshen up a bit?

Himeno: Sure.

Y/n: Thanks.

Himeno: No problem.

I left the kitchen and headed to the bathroom. It was a tiny one but just big enough to fit everything. I locked the door and turned on the sink, opting to let it run for a few seconds. I closed my eyes and sighed.

(What's on your mind kid?)

Y/n: You know everything I'm thinking, so I shouldn't even have to tell you.

(You really care for this woman, don't you?)

Y/n: Yeah. She was the only one to show me kindness without wanting something in return. I owe her for that. But with the job that she has, it would never work.

(Once we defeat my enemies, I can reclaim my spot as ruler of the Devils so you can be together. Provided that we manage to do it of course.)

Y/n: You'd do that for me?

(I'm not doing it out of the kindness of my heart, just so you know. I want to do it because I also know what it's like to love someone.)

Y/n: Thanks, I guess.

(Don't read too much into it.)

Himeno(distant): Y/n, breakfast is ready!

I splashed some water on my face before turning off the sink. I grabbed a hand towel and dried my face before placing it back on the rack. Once I reached the kitchen, I was hit with an amazing smell.

Y/n: Wow, this all looks so good.

Himeno: I suspect it'll taste good too. You know, since you've been stuck on a diet of fast food and instant ramen for so long.

I glared at her before looking away and smiling. She giggled a bit before sitting down.

Himeno: Now come on. We don't have a lot of time. We have to be at HQ in an hour.

Y/n: It worked?

Himeno: Yeah. They've agreed to meet with and evaluate you. Once they do that they'll decide who you'll be partnered up with. I already have a partner, so you'll be with someone else. 

Y/n: I'm still bummed about that. I don't want to talk to other people if I don't have to.

Himeno: It's not that bad. Trust me, I felt exactly how you do on my first day, and look at me now.

Y/n: Yeah.

Himeno: A word of advice though, my division leader Makima isn't someone you want to joke around with. She takes things very seriously and if you do something that she doesn't like, your chances of passing the evaluation can plummet just like that.