Chapter 199 - Meet Your Betters

"This is your last chance to surrender," the woman offers as she eyes our group.

"I'll gladly offer you the same option," I answer as the girls spread out in one of their initial formations.

The mysterious lady cackles at that and shakes her masked head. "This is not how this works, boy. You don't parlay with the Dragon after strolling into its lair. You beg."

"Gladly." I smirk at her, considering my options. "I humbly beg you to rethink your choices before they result in something irreversible. I hate beating up women, you see."

Unless they are pure evil and unhinged, but she doesn't need to know that.

"You are a funny guy. Do you think you can stall me long enough for reinforcements to appear? I can squish you all with a swat of my hand at any moment." She spreads her arms wide and the circuits on her cloak glow stronger. "Really, what did they think when they hired a completely inexperienced newbie company for this escort? Are their finances so bad after banning the very core of slavery? The change must have hit their own businesses really bad then."

Ah, so it was like this. She and her organisation know jack shit about us. It's quite possible that we are the reason behind this kidnapping. At least somewhat indirectly. They most likely would have hesitated more if Ross employed one of the usual top companies or assigned more of his own men to the task.

Instead, these suckers saw this as an opportunity.

And, I realise one more thing.

It's not me who is stalling.

~Go after the cage and make sure Vanessa's parents are alright,~ I order my loyal spider guard. ~You can take care of anyone who tries anything funny.~

I receive no vocal reply but sense a shift in the air right above me. Hecate listens to my request immediately, stealthily moving towards the men who are trying to escape with the cages. They won't be able to get too far with her dangling right over their necks. A slight shiver runs down my spine at the too vivid image of a massive horrific spider descending upon one of the Humans and the woman takes it the wrong way.

"Finally realising how much fucked you are?" I can practically feel the smirk in her tone.

"Oh, you have no idea." A slight snicker escapes me and the girls join me with a giggle.

That throws her off a little as she clearly misses what's so funny about her statement but we aren't going to clear that up.

Some commotion behind us catches my attention and everyone glances over their shoulder briefly. Paul and the others make their way into the chamber and instantly notice the villain in this scenario, bracing their weapons for combat.

"Great, we have even more rats in this shithole." The boss lady groans.

A bunch of her subordinates decide to intervene regardless of her previous order to focus on the captives and she scowls at them. But, she doesn't berate or shout at them for defying her. She might not be as confident in taking so many of us down as she would like to think she is.

"We can handle her. They moved the VIPs that way. Go after them and let's meet back here in fifteen minutes," I say to our friends.

They glance at the way I gesture with my head and Paul nods. Before rushing towards the opening, Shino whispers something to his ear and he lets out a soft sigh, to which she gives him a timid smile. Shaking his head, he starts heading away with the others in tow, save for the petite samurai girl who instead trots up to us.

"I really missed fighting alongside you, Sensei." Shino blushes faintly as I raise a brow at her. "The poachers hardly count."

"Where do you think you are going?" the woman shouts at the fleeing group and I shape my artefact into an ominous greatsword.