Chapter 223 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

We venture back to the stall of the goat lady. Somewhere midway, a young boy with little horns runs into us and we explain that we might be who he is looking for. After noticing the chieftess by our side, he agrees, most likely assuming that we wouldn't lie with the leader right next to us.

But, I don't think there are that many Humans here to make it hard for him to recognize us.

When we reach the outdoor kitchen, our order is ready and waiting for pickup. The kind cook offers it to us for free after spotting Codae, but Sirgia politely refuses. She pays for us since we have agreed that she should be the one to handle most of the interactions. It's meant to make others more comfortable than dealing with a Human.

To some extent, of course.

I consider getting one more fantasy pizza for the family we are going to visit, but I don't think I can wait any minute longer. The two of us have also lost all the appetite we had so this one should be enough for Mrs. Ayumi and her son. Thankfully, we've picked a mild one so it shouldn't be a problem if they aren't the best with spicier seasonings.

The food itself comes in a wooden tray surrounded by slightly raised edges like a pizza box that lacks the top to cover it. It's fairly understandable considering the fact that they don't have such things as cardboard here. Unfortunately, it makes the delicious smells float right into our faces.

Promising to return the tray either today or tomorrow, we move on. Codae takes the lead and guides us through the village while explaining a thing or two about it. We hear some more details on the old town's creation and fall. She also expands on my father's story, sharing some more events besides the battles with us, from her perspective as a young Racconkin.

I say young, but she's twenty-eight. By her customs, she's already long past her younger days, but in my opinion, she's pretty much in her prime. A stunning girl like her would steal hearts back on Earth. With that athletic body and prominent curves? Even without her charming ears and tail, she would have been a dream of many.

Nevertheless, we stroll towards the outer edge of the village, where the cottages are more spread out. Some have bigger back or front yards while others use that additional space for personal farming and cultivation. With most traffic revolving around the core of the settlement, this is the best place to take care of one's crops and animals in peace. And that's why we can spot the few homesteads constructed not that far from this section.

The house we are heading to doesn't stand out much from the other ones. It's a simple one-story log cabin with maybe like a handful of rooms inside, judging by its size. It doesn't have any produce in the front, but the small area bears some flowers set in pretty formations. They aren't untouched, though, so they don't seem to be for sale. The owner might simply enjoy tending to them, but someone doesn't worry as much about not damaging them during their games.

Codae stops us a short distance from the cosy home. "Let me speak with her first. She isn't someone who would be shocked by a Human, obviously, but it's still nice to announce that you are bringing in a stranger."

"Of course." I nod. "We'll rely on your judgement."

"Don't worry. I won't spoil the surprise." She smirks playfully. "I need to have a good angle on her face when she hears it."

From the impish glint in her pretty eyes, I easily understand that there's at least some friendship between the two that exceeds the usual relationship between a chieftess and her subjects.

We wait as she stalks to the door and knocks on it lightly. After about a minute, they swing partially open and I catch the first glimpse of the lady who I can consider my step-mother. However, since I've never really considered my previous caretaker a real mother, I might as well just start doing so with this one instead of getting technical about it. Just from her appearance and general presence, I can sense how friendly and cordial she is.