Chapter 215 - Weaponised Ferocity

I don't know exactly what we expected to see after the massive gate swung open, but I guess total darkness is not far from it. All in all, we have been picking locks at an ancient entrance of a supposedly dead community. They might have once been something incredible, and right now, we are about to discover if it was true for ourselves, about to venture into the possible ruins and dusty remains of a lost civilization.

Well, not entirely lost since the Dwarves still are good and dandy back in their faraway lands, but the same can't be said about those protecting and managing these places. I do wonder how much of their culture was left behind in these supposed tunnels. My excitement at such discovery might not compare to Sirgia's even in the slightest, but it's still rather high up there.

"Do you have more than one of those head lights?" I ask my short companion.

"Of course, Master." The craft Dwarf lady nods and summons another one from her spatial storage. "Here you are. We might need them. There doesn't seem to be any power in the lighting system. It's not a surprise if it hasn't been manually maintained for decades, if not longer."

"Power? What was it powered with?" I raise a curious brow at her.

"According to the legends, massive spiritual furnaces that burned mana-infused crystals and gemstones. All that spiritual energy then flowed through pipes covered in special sealant and runes that kept all that mana inside the ducts. Those were connected to all the major utilities like lighting, heating, water pumps, and so on. It beats having people dedicated to spending their entire days or weeks walking around and resupplying every single crystal and device by hand. Especially in a massive, dark place like this," she explains with clear pride in her voice.

It might not exactly fall under magitech yet, but those were quite close, I would say. It shouldn't be that shocking considering how crafty in terms of engineering Dwarves usually are in most stories. In the end, I have a perfect example right by my side. With just the slightest little nudge from me, Sirgia designed plenty of gadgets from Earth within the restraints of the current realm. Even without my assistance, she was already a great artificer.

"Do you think we would be able to restore that power?" I put the hat on and turn the light, shooting a white beam into the darkness. "That would certainly make it easier to explore this place, which I'm fairly sure you would love to do."

Sirgia fidgets a little next to me. "If you think we have the time, Master..."

Chuckling gently, I ruffle through her hair. "This is your trip, your adventure. I'm just your bodyguard. My mission is to deliver you safely to your homeland. So, wherever you go, I go too. I ain't leaving your side for a moment. Okay, maybe save for toilet time. That you can handle on your own, I think."

She lets out an adorable giggle and shoots me a pretty smile. "Thank you, Master. I'm sure it will be worth it."

"Seeing this lovely smile of yours is already making it worth it." I wink at her and Sirgia's cheeks colour faintly. "So you want to go in or should we spend a night outside first?"

Looking thoughtful, she glances between our campfire and the mysterious depths. "Inside should be safer. Especially with our hidden residence. And there shouldn't be anything we have to worry about in there. All the defensive measures should be down."

"Should being the keyword here." I wave a finger at her. "But, I agree. Let's collect our stuff before the gate closes. No idea how long it stays open like this. You ready too, Diana? Or should we give you some time to hunt a little more? You might have to eat the rations we prepared for you for who knows how long."

Our canine companion gives the forest behind us one more glance before returning her attention to the front and shaking her head like a drill, along with the rest of her body. The two of us chuckle at the entertaining sight and take that as a confirmation that she is up for it. Maybe she will be able to leave with her ability once we step inside. Not sure if we are going to try in case she ends up blocked when trying to get back in. Sirgia will have to decide once we gather more information on the seals and arrays keeping this place safe from outside interference.