Chapter 237 - Eminence in the Shadows

While Sirgia figures out the proper way to tie our furry friend to the carriage, I'm left with the task of waking up our dear client. It would be bad to leave Mevana sprawled on the ground like that so my first choice is to get her up onto something more comfortable. And I know you shouldn't ever say this about a lady, but man, she certainly isn't light.

I plop the Dwarf woman on a comfy cushion and rest her back against the wagon's wheel. We shouldn't stay behind for too long lest the guards decide to find fault with us again, so I pat her plump cheek a few times to try and bring her back. It partially succeeds as her eyelashes flutter a few times and she mumbles something about ten more minutes while nuzzling her face into my palm with a silly smile.

When her eyes finally open and she realises what's been doing much quicker than expected, she sports a fair blush and jumps to her feet. "The hell are you doing? What happened?"

It's obvious her slight anger is fake, a mask to hide her embarrassment behind, but the confusion in her voice is legit. I gesture with my thumb to the side and she turns her head just to face against Diana's fierce snout as my animal companion stares at her curiously. Mevana squeaks and steps back, but fortunately retains her consciousness this time.

"What's with this monster?!" she shouts in slight panic.

"Not a monster. A friend." I chuckle lightly and start scratching behind Diana's long ear. "One that might be willing to help with your beast of burden situation if you manage to ask nicely enough."

Mevana gapes at the wolf in disbelief for a little while, noticing my petite lover hopping over the front beams of the cart and fixing them to the harness. That seems to allow her to snap out of her startled state and she glances between me and Diana. Swallowing heavily, she comes closer, reaching her previous spot still a tad hesitantly. But there's no doubt she's caught up on the current development.

"I apologise..." The curvy lady skips her head politely. "I don't have much to offer for such a majestic creature, but I would owe you a favour if you would be willing to aid my troubles, Great Wolf."

Diana lets out a soft snort and bops the girl on the forehead with her big nose, making Mevana tense and close her eyes. But, as she understands what has happened, our new Dwarf friend manages an awkward yet somewhat fascinated smile.

"That was a yes," I translate what my familiar feels deep down. "Though, I'm fairly sure she will try to pass that favour onto me when the time to pay up comes. Are you going to be alright with that?"

"Well, it's not like I have much of a choice." Mevana lets out a deep sigh. "If I want to get anything done, I'll need to trust you guys."

Sirgia chooses that moment to drop to the ground next to me. "You won't be disappointed. Master is the most trustworthy Human you can find. He won't abuse your faith."

"Master?" The merchant raises a brow at her and my petite lover's palms flick to her lips.

Shaking my head, I pat my clumsy mate gently. "I've been teaching her a thing or two about mercenary tactics and such during our travels. Sirgia seems like a very respectful person so she's been calling me that in private. She must feel quite comfortable around you to let it slip. As you can imagine, we wouldn't want others to overhear her address a Human like that."

"Ah. Understandable. You don't need to worry about me. I won't say a thing. It would do me no good to tarnish whatever hints of a positive relationship we might be starting to develop here." Mevana smirks softly. "Okay, let's talk business if we are almost ready to go. Are you sure you are alright with what you proposed earlier?"

"Absolutely." I nod kindly. "Unless that's still too much under current circumstances?"

"No, no, no!" The woman waves her hands at me. "I would feel like a total bitch going even lower when you are willing to do so much for me. Having to offer delayed payment is already bad enough, not to mention the risky investment. I don't know how much help you will actually be on the road, but it's always better than going alone."