Chapter 200 - Not So Hidden Feelings ❤

Rather than head straight home with our carriages, we choose to walk there and look around the city. We don't have anyone to protect now besides ourselves in case someone suddenly comes up with an act of hasty revenge for ruining their plans so we can relax a little more. Even so, we are in a much better position to respond to any events on foot than in carriages or on horses.

As we stroll through the streets and catch the eyes of numerous passersby thanks to the rather unique look of our group, thanks to so many girls of other races dressed in professional uniforms, it's pretty clear that most of us are tired to some extent after the recent incident. I walk alongside my girls and chat with them as they surround me, reassuring and praising them for their great work.

Obviously, unpredictable shit like this will happen now and then and no one can blame them for it. They responded quickly and I'm sure they would have been able to retrieve the hostages on their own under Ressia's command. Or if they would have felt uncertain, I believe they would have contacted me to report everything and try asking for advice.

Which is rather funny considering the fact that it's them who are better trained and more experienced in this stuff, but I guess being the strongest of the group is enough to make the ladies feel like I'm the one they should go to with their issues.

And I don't mind it either. My role has always been helping people out. Even teachers tend to get confronted with something they don't know by their students but continue to give their best or look up their answer since they are in a position of respect. It's more common than people imagine.

Nevertheless, we wander amongst the buildings with my fingers moving from one set of fluffy ears to another, from one cheek to another, from one chin to another, and so on, depending on the race of the lady receiving my little caresses and what she actually likes to feel. Beastkin are the easiest to please thanks to their magnificent features and the smiles they show when met with honest affection are hypnotising. But, the Elves or Tielflings don't fall that far behind.

We do get some different looks because of that, but I don't really care. Their well-being is the most important and they have just finished a great job. A few glances come from Paul's team too, but most of the members are already quite used to my ways. Shino looks like she's barely holding herself from barging in to receive some headpats too, Marcia keeps an impish smirk on her plump lips, and Natalie observes us with her usual calmness, though I do notice her eyes pausing on me more often. Catherine is simply absorbing the new knowledge and sights while the guys act like they don't really care.

On our way back, we pass by the ambush site. I haven't seen it properly from above yet and damn, it's really scary. I don't think just the explosion runes would be enough to pierce this much stone and pavement as the hole reveals just how sturdy the underground construction is. They must have prepared a lot for this, excavating everything between the sewers and the surface, and blowing up the stone supports then. The chasm spanned over the entire road and it was lucky no one else besides us was caught in it. However, that might be thanks to our formation taking a lot of space.

Men and women from the castle are already working on the inconvenience, alongside plenty of artisans and crafters. The knights keep redirecting people to the nearby alleys, deflecting some annoyed pedestrians who are just so mad they can't walk straight.

Seriously, where do people like that even come from?

I ask one of the guards what happened here, curious about their answer, and the man replies without even looking back at me. He blames the cave-in on an acidic monster that eroded the structure and exploded when hit with fire from the adventurers hunting it.