13. Preston

"PJ?" I looked up from the book I was reading to see Mama poking his head into the room.

"Yeah?" I asked setting my book down to give him my undivided attention.

"We got word your mate has come onto our lands," he said making me furrow my brows. Why would Ryker be coming over now? We had agreed to go out later tonight.

>Perhaps he couldn't wait until tonight?< my wold, Gunnar, said with a shrug as he laid his head on his front paws in my mind. I stood from my chair and followed Mama out into the backyard where pack members were currently training with Papa and siblings. I could smell Ryker as he neared and we turned to look in his direction when his wolf form came into view. I rushed over tossing him a pair of pants as he began to shift. He gave me a mischievous smile as he took the pants and put them on while ignoring whispers from the pack behind me.

"What a brings you here, Alpha Ryker?" aunt Alaska asked once my mate was deemed presentable.

"I wanted to see my beautiful mate," he replied, looking down at me, making me blush. "I know we had plans tonight, but I was hoping we could spend some extra time together."

A wave of happiness washed over me as I stepped closer to him. "Of course, Ryker. I'd love to spend more time with you."

The pack began to disperse, leaving Ryker and me standing in the middle of the training grounds. The sun was beginning to set, casting a warm glow over the area. Ryker took my hand in his and led me towards a small, secluded spot near the forest. We walked in comfortable silence, the only sound being the rustle of leaves under our feet.

"I know you feel as if you're a burden to me just because you're still in high school." He said making me bite the inside of my cheek. He gently tugged on my hand making me look up at him, "but I want you to know that is not the case, and it will never be. You are perfect in every way you can imagine and I'm lucky that our goddess made you. You're my beginning, middle and end, Preston."

My heart swelled with love as I looked into Ryker's eyes. His words touched the deepest parts of my soul, and I knew that I was truly loved and cherished. We continued to walk hand in hand, our fingers entwined, as we made our way to a meadow bathed in the soft light of the setting sun.

Ryker stopped in the middle of the meadow and turned to face me. His hand reached up to cup my cheek, his touch sending electric currents through my body. "Preston, my love, I have a surprise for you."

I looked at him in curiosity, my heart fluttering with anticipation. Ryker motioned towards the edge of the meadow, and I saw a blanket spread out with a picnic basket sitting on top. "I thought we could have a romantic picnic under the stars," he said with a smile.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I realized just how much effort Ryker had put into planning this special evening. It was moments like this that reminded me why I fell in love with him in the first place—his thoughtfulness, his kindness, and his unwavering devotion.

We settled down on the blanket, savoring the delicious food Ryker had prepared. The night sky painted a breathtaking backdrop, with stars twinkling like diamonds overhead. We laughed, we talked, and we shared our dreams and aspirations. It was pure bliss, being surrounded by nature's beauty and wrapped up in each other's arms.

As the night grew darker, Ryker pulled me closer, his lips finding mine in a gentle, tender kiss. Time seemed to stand still as we lost ourselves in the moment, our love becoming the only thing that mattered.

****

"It's time to tell my pack that Preston is my mate," Ryker said as we sat around the dinner table with my parents and siblings.

"Your pack doesn't know that you've found your mate yet?" Papa asked with a raised brow as he looked at Ryker. Despite the male being an alpha and Papa was the Beta, Ryker looked intimidated by him which was something I didn't think I'd ever see.

"They know but don't know who it is," Ryker said before adding, "the only ones that know that Preston is my mate are my family, Beta and Third in Command."

"Are you ashamed of having my son as your mate that you haven't disclosed it to your pack?" Papa asked and I frowned at his question.

"No," was Ryker's immediate response, "of course not. The inky reason I haven't disclosed that I've found my mate is because I don't want Preston to feel forced into standing at my side and becoming the Luna of MoonLit Oasis, when he's not ready to take on such an important role. He's still in high school and I would never force him into doing something he's not yet ready to do."

Papa nodded, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "That's good to hear, Ryker. Family comes first, after all."

I felt a rush of relief wash over me as my father accepted Ryker's explanation. It was important to me that my family supported my relationship, and Ryker's dedication to my well-being melted any lingering doubts Papa may have had. Ryker reached over and took my hand in his, a reassuring squeeze. With my family's support, I knew we could face any challenges that may come our way.

Over the next few weeks, Ryker gradually introduced me to the members of his pack. Each interaction was met with warmth and acceptance, and I soon found myself feeling like I belonged. The pack embraced me as if I had always been a part of their family, and I was grateful for their open minds and giving hearts.

>We have our own pack now, PJ< Gunnar whispered in my mind as Ryker drove me home after spending time with him and his family in MoonLit Oasis. I felt a smile tug at my lips as I watched the trees and wolves blur in the distance the further Ryker got away from his pack and towards mine.

>I can't wait to move here when school ends<

"What's got you all smiling all of a sudden?" Ryker asked from the driver's seat and I looked over at him and grinned.

"I'm just happy." He smiled as he lifted our intertwined hands and pressed a kiss to the back of my knuckles.

"I love seeing you happy."