3. Preston

The last thing I expected when going to Luna and Benson's house was coming face to face with the Alpha of MoonLit Oasis and finding out that we were mates. I stood frozen as we locked with each other the second we walked down the hall towards the living room where we were going to be working on our project. Everything around me was silent as I stared at my mate. I knew he was handsome from the photos that lined the walls of the house but seeing him face-to-face was a whole other experience. He was tall with lean muscles covered in tattoos. He had on a black muscle shirt, black jeans, and leather military boots.

Gunnar paced and whined in my head wanting to get close to our mate but I was rooted in my spot. I didn't know how to act. I never imagined meeting my mate in my best friends' how let alone him being the alpha.

"Hello, mate." Ryker greeted and I bit my lip as his voice redhead my ears. Damn, his voice was deep and soothing. I could practically melt.

>Go to mate, Preston< Gunnar growled in my head but I was terrified, I mean I've heard stories of him having lovers and then throwing them like yesterday's garbage. I swallowed the lump as I stepped back as he walked towards me and I saw him frown.

"Is something wrong?" He asked and I bit my lip to keep the whimper from leaving my lips.

"Pres?" My sister asked worriedly as I backed into her.

>Perhaps the stories we've heard were fake, Preston< Gunnar whimpered and I shook my head as I felt a lump in my throat.

"Leave us," my mate said and I heard Luna whisper to Julianna and Benson before the three of them walked away.

>Call me if anything happens< Julianna said through the mind link and I nodded. After my parents had gotten together and they adopted my Mama's siblings, aunt Alaska gave them the bite to make them part of the pack and the ability to talk through the mind link.

"Are you not happy with being my mate?" Ryker asked as he stood a few feet from me and I looked down at the floor as my heart hammered in my chest. I could hear the pain in his voice and looked up to see a frown on his handsome face. I bit my lip. I shook my head because in a way I was happy we were mates but then I remembered the rumors of him sleeping around.

I didn't get to reply as the male that had run off a moment ago returned and Ryker's attention was on him. His whole demeanor changed from being worried about me not accepting our mating to him completely ignoring me. I furrowed my brows as a scent that I recognized filled my nose. It was sweet. It came from the redhead that was trying to get Ryker to go with him. I could see the fight in the alpha male as he clenched his eyes and his jaw ticked.

"Who are you?"I asked him and the redhead looked at me with dark hard eyes.

"His mate," he replied and I raised a brow. Did he not hear Ryker and me saying we were mates?

>I'm not liking this, Preston< Gunnar said as he paced in my head and I couldn't agree more with him.

>You recognize that scent don't you, Gun?< I asked and he growled as he paced in my head.

>mandrake< he snarled and I nodded. I knew I recognized that scent. It was coming off him in waves. And from the way Ryker was acting, the male was using it to get his attention.

"Where did you find mandrake?" I asked making the redhead tense as he stared at me and Ryker furrowed his brows as he looked down at the stranger.

"That is no concern of yours," he replied and I shook my head.

"It concerns me when it involves my mate," I stated and Ryker blinked shaking his head before he was pushing the redhead away.

"What hell is happening to me? What the fuck are you doing to me, Rory?" He asked as he glared down at the male whose eyes widened.

"How? How is it possible that it's not taking effect?" Rory whispered as he began to pace the hall, his hands in his hair. "I followed the instructions to the T so why is it not working?"

"The potion only works when the wolf hasn't found his or her mate," a female voice said making us look towards a woman with short black hair that was shaved on the sides. She was beautiful with light blue eyes. Her arms were covered in tattoos just like Ryker was. She wore a black sports bra under a white button-down shirt that was open revealing her toned stomach, black jeans, and matching combat boots. "And since our dear alpha found his mate, your potion won't work anymore."

"You had your beta following me?" Rory asked as he stared at Ryker and my mate smiled as he caressed his cheek before his smile turned to a sneer as he grabbed Rory by the throat and slammed him against the wall making me jump.

"And for good reason too," Ryker snarled, "you've been drugging me for god knows how long."

>I want to rip that bastard's throat< Gunnar growled as he laced back and forth in my head and I clenched my jaw as I fought to keep him under control.

"Morgan, take my mate to Benson's room," Ryker said and the woman, Morgan bowed and walked over to me. She gave me a small smile as she held her hand towards the hall that led to the stairs. I looked back to Ryker as he grabbed Rory and led him outside to the yard.

****

"Wait, you're saying Rory has been drugging Ryker?" Luna asked with furrowed brows and I nodded. I had just finished telling them what had happened moments ago before I was brought up.

"Did he say anything?" Benson asked I shook my head and they raided their brows.

"He was pissed," I said and they nodded, "all I saw before we came up here was him taking Rory outside."

"You know your brother better than us," Julianna said making the twins look at her, "what do you think he'll do to that guy?"

They shrugged and we sighed, "whatever Ryker's planning, it won't be good, that's for sure." Luna said and we nodded, "how do you feel about being his mate, PJ?"

"I don't know him so I don't know how to feel," I replied honestly and they nodded, "but perhaps once we speak instead of being interrupted by jealous exes with love potions."

"I still can't get over the fact that he was using mandrake to get Ryker to love him," Luna said with a shake of her head and I nodded my agreement, "but I'm glad that it no longer has any effect now as your his mate." I bit my lip and smiled.

"Let's not focus on that now," I said and they nodded, "did you gush start the project?"

"We did," Benson nodded, "Zaddie and Leona are coming over as well."

A knock on the door had us looking over as Luna got off the end and walked over to open the door.

"Hey," Zaddie greeted us with a smile as she and Elijah walked in.

We greeted the twins before we began working on our history project. But as we worked, I couldn't help but think about the alpha male that was somewhere in the territory. A howl sounded just as my mind wandered to him and smiled.

>his wolf is calling to us< Gunnar murmured in my head and I nodded.

> we'll be with him soon< I replied to my wolf who nodded before resting his head on his front paws and closing his eyes. Yes, soon, we'll be with our mate but for now, I had to focus on my work.