Chapter 23: This Isn't Right!

Mirai Iwatani Level: 41

Kenta Level: 44

Clang!! Clash!!

"What the hell did you do to her?!" a distant voice snaps, my fingers twitching as I begin to wake from my nap, "You cold-hearted devil! How could you kill your own sister?!"

Clang, Clash, Clash!!

I raised my head to see Motoyasu and Naofumi fighting each other within the confines of an electric blue cage. 'What're they doing? Stop this,' I clenched my fists as I moved onto my fours.

"Stop. . .this. . I'm alive!" I coarsely mutter as I cough onto the ground below me.

"I don't know what you're talking about! Why would I kill her?!" Naofumi snaps as he dodges one of Motoyasu's thrusts and jumps backward, creating distance between them. "Did you even see her die?! Or are you just going off what Myne says?"

Motoyasu gestures toward me.

"She's right there! Motionless and no sign of breathing! That's all the evidence I need," he charges Naofumi, successfully landing a cut to the side of his cheek.

"This is all wrong," I say as I get to my knees, motioning to stand up. Kenta moves to assist. I glare at him, and he backs off. I cough into my palm, pausing momentarily before getting to my feet and studying this electric cage.

"Kenta, can you get me in there? I need to stop this," he transforms.

"Get on," I climb on his back, and he backs up to get a running start before jumping up and into the ring. I slide off him and run toward the middle of the fight.

"That's enough!" I yell, holding out my hands as if a holographic shield were projected from my palms.

"Mirai?!" Motoyasu and Naofumi exclaim as their attacks connect with my shields. Motoyasu's spear flies out of his hand, while Naofumi's shield remains attached to his arm.

"I thought you were," Motoyasu says with a shocked tone.

"Dead. I was, but then I was revived," I tell him.

"How?" Motoyasu exclaims, "I don't understand. Myne told me that the Church told her that Naofumi killed all of you,"

"The details about the whole death thing aren't important right now," I tell him, "But I will say that Myne lied to you. Naofumi is the Shield Hero. He's unable to touch weapons, let alone kill with them,"

"But-"

"Sir Motoyasu, you're forgetting that the Devil's servants are brainwashed, including the Witch." Myne attempts to distract him.

"For the last time, he hasn't had that kind of power! We're following Master Naofumi because we chose to!" Raphtalia defends. Motoyasu turns to me, grasping my wrist.

"Mirai, tell me the truth," Motoyasu requests.

"Can you let go of me?" I requested, but he didn't, as if waiting for my explanation.

"Short version: Kenta was kidnapped by Myne and her goons," I explain, "Using Kenta as bait, she knocked me out, brought me to a cave, poisoned me, then left me to die an excruciating death," Motoyasu stumbles backward in confusion, releasing my wrist in doing so.

"Myne, is that true?"

"Are you really listening to a Witch?" As she latches onto Motoyasu's arm, Myne says, "She's just trying to blame me. I have been by your side this whole time."

"Yeah, yeah, you have." Motoyasu continued to defend, "There hasn't been a time where you haven't been around." I look between the two of them.

"You know what? I don't give a shit," I state, "Why the hell are you two fighting? You're Cardinal Heroes, not enemies!"