Chapter 22: Misunderstandings Cleared

I open my eyes to a blurry canopy of red and a soft bed underneath me. I sit up to look around, and suddenly, I cough into my hand. I look at my palm to find it stained with blood.

"Wh-what is this? What's going on?" I ask as I resume coughing.

"I'd lie back down if I were you; otherwise, you'll die again," an unfamiliar voice speaks up. I look toward the entrance, spotting a man with white hair.

"Who-"

"Lay down now," he orders and holds out his hand. An unknown force begins to press on my chest, forcing me to my back.

"What're you doing?!" I fight against it, only to break out in another coughing fit.

"Shut up and do what I said," he walks into the room and over to me, "Stay still," he hovers his hands over me as a violet glow spreads onto me. My back arches from the sudden pain of it, and I find myself unable to breathe or anything. As the light dies down, I gasp for air as I grasp the blankets.

"You're a mess," he says. I glare at him as my knuckles turn white from the strength of my grip.

"What. . . The hell. Did you do too. . .Me?" I pant.

"Think what you will. You wouldn't believe me even if I told you," he responds and stands up, "Lu," a male fairy appears, "You know what to do. I'm going to go and lie down," the man leaves, and the fairy turns to me.

"Don't mind Ezra, this is just how he is," Lu tells me, "How are you feeling?"

"Like I was just too." The words escape me as a wave of warmth and relief washes over me, and I find myself melting into the mattress, "The pains are gone," I say in disbelief as my eyes struggle to stay open.

"With Ezra taking care of you, you'll be back to normal in no time, well, aside from the long-term effects," Lu explains as he places a cool towel over my forehead.

"Long-term effects? What effects? I'm fine," I say in a sleepy tone.

"Oh well. . ." His voice fades as my eyes close.

                                              🛡💠🛡💠🛡💠🛡💠🛡💠🛡

"It's safe. She's asleep," Lu says and faces the door. Kenta peeks around the corner in his small demon form, "Are you really that scared that you can't even greet her when she's awake? What are you? A toddler?"

"Not even close," Kenta states defensively as he transforms into his demi figure.

"So then why? You do know that once she can maintain consciousness after Ezra's treatment, you're going to have to face her," Lu says.

"I just don't know how to face her. After all, she was just revived, and before that, I broke her spirit," Kenta says.

"Then explain it to her," Lu states, "So what if she hates you? At least you know,"

"Lu, come here!" Ezra shouts from outside of the room.

"On my way, sir," Lu vanishes, leaving Kenta in a silent room. After standing awkwardly for a few minutes, he walked over to her bedside.

"I don't know what I am doing, and it's all your fault," he tells her, "Why didn't you have the brain cells to understand what I was doing?" she groans in pain, and he shoots to his feet.

"Hey, Mirai, what's wrong? Are you alive? You're alive, right?" he rambles off, "What do I do? Should I get Ezra?" he paces back and forth, unable to understand what he needs to do.