Chapter 4: Mirai's First Wave Experience

Mirai Iwatani Level 15

Kenta Level 13

Several days later. . .

I open my eyes to a vaulted wooden ceiling, I rolled my head to the left then to the right finding myself to be in some sort of bedroom, I prop my arm over my forehead. Last thing I remember was the back of the Flevil, so how am I inside of a building?

"Oh, you're awake." I dropped my arm and sat up, and a young man dressed in church garb took the seat beside the bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Better." I reply, "Um, but how did I get here and who are you?"

"I apologize my name is Conrad, and you are?"

"Mirai."

"That's an unusual name. Say, do you hail from the west?" he asks.

"Sure."

"A young boy brought you here and you've been asleep for the past several days." Conrad explains, "To be honest it is very uncommon for people to survive an attack from an Onisoper but it seems that you are quite the fortunate young lady." I trail my hand down the bandage over my right eye.

"It's probably a stupid question." I say as I clench the blanket, "But is it possible for my eye to be restored?" I ask, and as soon as the words escape me I realize that I already knew the answer to that.

"Unfortunately there is nothing we can do for you here." he says, "Lute has some top notch healers in Melramarc and I'm sure if you went anywhere else they would give you the same answer."

"That's what I thought." I say, "So this place is called Lute then?"

"Correct."

"Would it be alright if I take a look around, I don't have any money and so I was hoping to see if there's anything I can do to repay you." I tell him.

"Go on ahead, the doctor gave you the clear once you had awoken." he says and stands up, "But don't push yourself you just recovered from a fever and you will still feel the odd pain here and there. However, if it gets worse, come back here right away."

"I will thank you Conrad." he smiles and leaves, I take off the covers, get to my feet, hop in the shower, and then leave the room.

"You're up, I'm so glad." a child-like voice says, I look around not seeing any such child. I walk to the left and run into someone.

"Oh I'm sorry I-" a mint haired boy with white swirls in his hair, fluffy lamb like ears on the sides of his head, and small horns stands at about waist height..

"I'm so glad!" he hugs me and a devil tail swishes back and forth.

"Are you the Flevil that fought the Onisper?" it looks up at me and smiles showing me his fangs, yep no doubt about that. "What're you doing here? Shouldn't you be with your kind?"

"They were all killed by Onisper." he says with barely a hint of pain in his voice, "and besides I, Kenta, have decided that from here onwards you will be my big sister!"

"Huh? But I'm-"

"As my big sister it is your job to look after me and in turn I will protect you." he explains, "After all dad always told me that if a human were ever to save my life I would serve them forever. Even though all I'm good for is trickery, and fighting."

"I get it, but I didn't save you in order to make you my gopher." I say.

"What's a gopher? Is it edible?" He asks.

"In a sense but the gopher I am talking about is similar to a slave."

"Well, too bad for you but I don't care. You saved me and now you are stuck with me. We're going to have so much fun killing monsters, and anyone who becomes an enemy."