Ch. 4-Home At Last?

They rode to the first location- a two story house with three bed, two and a half bath, den, and kitchen- in Dean's '67 Chevy Impala.

"So, what brings you to North Carolina?" Dean asked, taking a glance at Castiel who tended at the question.

"Uh...a, um, a fresh start, ya know?" Castiel stammered out.

Dean looked at him with a questioning glance, "Yeah. I see a lot of those around here. People just wanting to get away from crazy stalkers,"

Castiel didn't react.

"bill collectors,"

Still no action.

"family members,"

His face fell a bit. Now you're on to something, he thought.

"and exes."

Castiel tensed and his face fell.

So family issues and an ex? He doesn't seem to have a wedding band tan line, so probably girl friend or fiancé?

"Oh," Castiel started, turning to Dean, "so you must know everyone who lives here?"

"Know them?" He scoffed, "I've helped almost everyone here find there homes!" He laughed.

Castiel smiled. Dean's laugh was one that you couldn't help but notice and it drew your attention to this interesting man.

Dean looked out the windshield, "okay, so right up here is the first house." He pointed and pulled into the drive way.

It was a beautiful house- fairly large in size, painted a light blue with a white trimming and shutters to match. 5 white steps took you to the front porch, which stretched around half the house, running from the garage to the back half which faced the beach. The roof was a midnight black. The house had an aged look about it, inviting you in to stay for tea and never leave.

"Shall we?" Dean smiled as he got out of the car.

Castiel followed suit, bounding up the steps as Dean unlocked the front door.

They entered into a beige living room, brown trimming along the tops and bottoms, with navy blue curtains hanging upon dark gold rods. The den was fairly large, a staircase led from beside the front door to the second floor, while a doorway separated the kitchen from the den. A second door way across from the kitchen led into a downstairs bedroom. It felt homey, and Castiel could see it possibly becoming home, but he didn't feel right. He didn't feel like this was where he belonged.

They continued to the kitchen, Dean rambling about the house as he watched Castiel, who was to enveloped in the house to notice. The kitchen matched the living room, but with white appliances. Castiel inspected the cabinets, the dishwasher and stove, and lastly the refrigerator. He tried to show little emotion, as he didn't like the house so much.

They walked back into the den and into the bed room, which Cas thought he could turn into a study if he chose to buy this house. The room was fairly simple, a window seat emptied out onto the beach, giving a beautiful view of the sunset over the water in the evenings. The room offered an ensuite bathroom that carried only a toilet and sink. It wasn't a large room, enough for a bed and wardrobe, and the walls were white with a strip of race cars along the center of the wall, giving Castiel the impression it had been a nursery to the previous owners.

They ascended the stairs to find it open to a landing with glass panel along the back wall.

"It's one way, so you can see out but no one can see in. Fairly private for you and any future misses." Dean winked at him.

Castiel inwardly smiled at that.

They continued to the hallway, where Dean showed him two more bedrooms-one having an ensuite bathroom and a bathroom across the hall from the second bed room.

They walked back into the hallway, Dean stopping for a moment. "I can't remember....I think it's this one." He turned to Castiel with a smile, "Want to see something cool?" A childish shine sparkles in his glowing eyes.

Castiel smiled, "sure?"

Dean took his arm and led him to the end of the hall. He pulled open a door that had been teasing Castiel's mind. They found a set of stairs, which Dean began to drag Castiel upwards. They came to an attic, which looked like it could be a substitute bedroom or personal library, with a ladder against the far right wall.

"Bingo." Dean said more to himself.

They climbed the ladder and came to a small landing in front of a door. Dean turned to him excitedly, "okay, now close your eyes."

Castiel gave a questioning look before closing his eyes and feeling Dean take his hand. He heard the creaking of the door opening, groaning after years of neglect. He stepped out to feel wind in his face and the sun shining upon his eye lids.

"Okay! Open!" Dean practically cried.

How can a grown ass man sound so much like a small ass child, Castiel almost laughed to himself. He opened his eyes and almost gasped at the beautiful view before him.

He stood on a balcony on the back side of the house, invisible to the front. The roof curved under them, creating a floor on which to stand, and a railing was placed approximately 5 feet from the door. What it lacked in space, it made up for in beauty. To the left, Castiel could see the cliff where a lighthouse warned sailors of the jutted rocks that lay below. To the right, he was the beach laid down below, carved by the waters after years and years of formation. Straight ahead, he could see the ocean's endless vast, stretching to the horizon and pressing waves to the shore.

"This is...beautiful." Castiel uttered, his brain lacking to find words.

"Yeah," Dean almost whispered, coming to stand beside him, "I've always found this to be the most relaxing spot to show any clients."

Castiel was amazed at the view, but his stomach faltered. He didn't feel this could be his home. It was a beautiful house, but it didn't scream what he had hoped.

"Mr. Winchester, I love the house, but I don't know if this is my future home," Castiel said almost shyly.

"No problem, Cas- can I call you Cas? - there are plenty more houses to see!" He led Castiel back through the house, down the stairs, and out the front door, locking it back before proceeding to his car.

"Off to the next one!" He said enthusiastically.