Ch. 9- A Clumsy Hello

Castiel landed at the airport in California at 7:45 the next morning, the flight being delayed due to turbulence issues over Kansas.

He had boarded his flight in North Carolina at nine o'clock that morning, with it now being nearly eight, you could say Castiel was slightly thrown off.

He arrived at his brother's house at 8:30, his brother-in-law greeting him as he stepped out of his cab.

"Cas!" Sam called as he walked over to hug him.

"Hey, Sam," Castiel leaned up to hug him.

Castiel was over foot taller than he was, which made it funny seeing his brother beside his spouse. Gabriel was six inches shorter than his brother, so watching them kiss at their wedding had the entire audience laughing at their quirky kiss.

Sam helped Castiel with his bags and showed him where he would be staying.

"I'm sorry for the messiness, we're uh," Sam smiled and looked down at his shoes, rubbing a hand around his neck, "We're kinda of in the process of redecorating and renovating."

"Why?" Castiel questioned, he felt he already knew the answer.

"Well," Sam smiled and looked at his brother-in-law. "I'm. Supposed to wait to tell everyone tonight but..."

"But?" Castiel prodded, a grinning splitting across his face.

"We're expecting!" Sam whispered ecstatically.

Castiel threw his hands to his face, covering his mouth as his eyes grew wide and tears threatened to spill over, "Oh my, God! Adoption? Surrogate? Foster?"

"Adoption. Remember Hannah Nickels? She was in my wedding party, I graduated Stanford with her. Anyways, she called me in March and said that she was expecting but she couldn't keep the baby. Her husband left her and she's going through some hard times, so Gabriel and I offered to help her through until after the baby came, you know, until she got back on her feet, and we would adopt the baby."

Castiel could hardly contain himself, "Oh my, God! I'm going to be an uncle! When's the baby due?"

"December. So we've still got two months to get everything ready." Sam looked around with his hands placed on his hips, "Gabriel's been so worried about it all. Thinks he'll make a terrible father. I told him that he'll take wonderful care of baby girl, I even-"

"It's a girl?" Castiel said in awe, still wanting to cry.

"Yeah," Sam smiled at the ground as happy tears filled his eyes. "A baby girl. We haven't decided what to call her yet."

Castiel smiled, "You two will make great parents."

Sam looked up at him, a smile upon his face, "Thank you. You'll have to come back for her birth, okay?"

Castiel nodded and smiled.

Sam let out a content sigh, "Good." He looked around the room. "We have three other rooms if you'd rather stay in another one," he offered.

"I may take you up in that offer, since this will be the baby's room, after all. I could even help set it up while I'm here, if you'd like?"

And that's what they did. For the next five hours they went about setting up the room for the soon arrival of the little baby.

They painted the walls a beautiful violet color. As they waited for the paint to dry, Sam and Cas attempted to put the crib together, Castiel soon growing annoyed of it all and grunting before leaving Sam to it and setting about safety proofing the room.