Chapter 23: wolves in the dark

The world was dark and lonely. Everything was quiet, and the only noise was the quiet dripping of water. His eyes were closed and his breathing was slow, as he tried to think...

There were many things he was thinking about. He'd been in this world for more than a few days now, and it was getting lonely. The mirror close by was still calling to him, always glowing. The surface wasn't as inviting as the light though. His reflection made him wonder, and every time he touched it, it sent electric tingles crawling across his skin.

And yet there was a voice calling for him on the other side, full of pleading and worry. He wanted to trust this person, but he still wasn't sure who it was. Who would call for him so constantly? Who would miss him so much that they would plea with him again and again, despite him still not answering?

Days were lonely in his dark little world, however. He floated about, thinking things over and over again. He knew that as soon as he entered the mirror, he would feel a lot of pain. And yet, he also knew that he'd feel a lot of warmth.

He walked toward the mirror, he stared into it, blinking his red eyes. He'd visited the mirror so many times now. He wondered if the gateway back home would ever close.

Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes and placed his hand within the mirror...

"Vix, wake up. It's time to go out." A voice reached the half-asleep boy's ears. It was still early in the morning, and sunlight was streaming in through the window.

Groaning, the young boy rolled over in his bed. "Can't it wait?" he murmured.

He heard his companion sigh, but Vix knew the man was smiling. His friend sat down on the bed and nudged Vix. "Up," he commanded.

"I'm not awake," answered the young boy.

"Sure you are." Grabbing him, the man easily pulled Vix upwards. When the boy was fully upright, Vix yawned and stretched. He opened his eyes and was greeted by a smile. "See? Told you you were awake."

"Nah; I just woke up thanks to you." Vix kicked the man from under the sheets lightly, yawning again. He rubbed his eyes. "Where are we going today?"

"Next week is your special day, so we're going to be quite busy preparing for that day," the man replied.

"What day?" Confused, Vix stopped stretching to stare at his companion. "Did I miss something?"

The man laughed, "Your own birthday, apparently. How could you forget ?"

Vix stared blankly at him, his mind still half-asleep. But then he let out a loud gasp as he jumped out of his bed, throwing on his slippers. "My birthday's next week! I can't believe I forgot!"

His friend laughed again. "Now you're eager to go out, huh?"

"I want a big cake this year," Vix shot back, smirking. "And you'll have to make it. I want it full of my favourite things."

"Sure thing, birthday boy." the man stood up. "We'll invite the Ruffs and your uncle over as well."

Vix pulled off his no-sleeve and reached for a t-shirt. "Don't forget about the presents."

Leaning against the wall, his companion raised an eyebrow. "What happened to just having fun together with your friends?"

"Oh, and that too," laughed Vix. "Presents are more important though."

The man rolled his eyes and walked over to Vix, flicking the boy on the forehead. "Where did I go wrong with you?"

Vix grinned. "Get me something awesome and I'll be a better kid."