Chapter 29: When Wolves Come Knocking

Hey guys! So I found out that Professor Drake Utonium is the counterpart to Professor Utonium. From the original PPGZ, Professor Drake is from the PPGZ series just so there's no confusion!

Damon bit his lip in pain as he held his bleeding leg, staring up at the man looming over him. The man he knew. The man he once called a friend. The man was now pointing a gun at his head. "Danes," he greeted raggedly.

" seems like you couldn't stay hidden forever." Danes slipped the gun into its holster on his belt. His eyes were steely cold. " Did you think you could run away and hide as if you haven't done anything wrong?"

"No, that's not how it is! I just... I didn't want-"

"Didn't want what?" sneered Danes. "You were being selfish, that's all there is to it. Your mistakes have cost many people their futures. You're pathetic."

"If you'd only listen to me, please-" Damon tried.

Danes turned away. "I don't want to listen to any more of your lies." His face darkened. "I came here to bring you to meet your fate, not talk about the past over spilled tea. We found you because Shamus spotted you at a bus stop in the city*. He was amazed you ever bothered to show your face in the streets of the city again."

"I went there for ....special reasons," Damon said quietly, looking away.

"If you have time to enjoy yourself, then you wouldn't mind me taking some of your time away." Danes' expression hardened. "Shamus saw you with a boy. I want to know about this boy. Shamus wasn't sure it was you, because since when did you have a kid in your care? Still, we tracked you down. Tell me; did you kidnap that child?"

Damon didn't answer.

Danes spun around to glare at Damon. "Oh, so now you don't reply? What happened to 'listen to me' and 'I'll tell you everything'!?"

Looking away, Damon's voice dropped to a whisper. "Let's not talk about the boy."

Scoffing, Danes looked away again. He couldn't stand looking at Damon's face anymore; not without wanting to punch it. "Fine. Let's talk about something else then. I intend to take everything from you and throw you into the prison you deserve to rot in. The boy is the first step to taking what's yours away from you." Danes paused, before saying icily, "Oh, I'm sorry. Did I talk about the boy again? Sorry"

"Danes, please... Please, don't do this..."

Danes twitched angrily as he heard Damon's pleading voice. Pathetic, the man thought to himself.

"I didn't... I didn't mean for any of this to happen. Tyrone-I didn't-"

Suddenly, Danes spun around to glare at Damon, giving up on ignoring the man he now hated. "Didn't what? Kill my friend? Your best friend? The father of a boy? You were my friend, Damon!"

Damon was struggling just to even raise his head. His leg was bleeding rapidly from Danes' gunshot, and he was sprawled out on the floor. "No... That's not what happened!"

"As if I believe you. You've lied to me enough already." Danes yanked Damon's head upwards by grabbing a fistful of the man's hair. Damon let out a sharp gasp of pain as Danes continued speaking slowly, venom dripping from his tone. If the venom had been real, Damon would have already been dead. "You destroyed the peace by killing Tyrone. The sides have begun feuding again, and I have to rise as leader of my side. You've changed Shamus and I. Shamus no longer smiles. I no longer enjoy myself. After you killed Tyrone, you ran away like the coward that you are."

"Danes, please! If you would just look in my study-"

"Shut up!" screamed Danes, his eyes flashing. "Will you just shut up!? I've had it! Damon, I hate you! I hate you for what you've done, but what's worse is that I hate you for how you manipulated all of us! You destroyed everything, and for what? A dead girl!"