Chapter 34: Wolves on the Mend

"It's nice to see you again in person," Danes murmured, dipping his head. "Awake and well," he added.

Christie sat up, immediately grimacing from the pain. But she held her position, saying, "Thank you—it's nice to be back."

Danes turned and noticed Vix, who had settled down on the bare bed. The large man's eyes roamed toward the laundry basket, where bloodstained sheets lay. "...I see you're back from your mission, Vix."

"Yeah." The teen hardly looked at Danes as he answered, shrugging casually. He glanced at the basket. "Guess it's 'that time of the month again' for me," he muttered sarcastically.

Danes raised an eyebrow but didn't scold Vix. Vix was practically the only person who could openly treat Danes with sass and not be punished, since not only did he usually listen to Danes' orders, but he was also very effective. His unique powers gave him a high position. Plus, Michael added silently, his missions are punishment enough.

"I have a meeting I need to attend with Shamus and the others—Jamel, Maxim, and Coal—so I shall be occupied for the day. I do not wish to be disturbed. And Michael," Danes commanded.

"Yes, Uncle?" Michael looked up.

"You will be training with your friends today. Deth Jackson is free from his usual busy schedule today, and Denji is also open. Ethan is already on his way here. Ren is available, so I decided that it was an appropriate time for you to train with your friends."

"Thank you." Michael knew Danes was letting him train with his best pals instead of a tutor because it was his uncle's way of saying "sorry" about the whole "sending Christie on a secret and dangerous mission" ordeal. "That'll be great."

Danes nodded and left the room, with Michael not far behind. Christie watched as her brother started to leave. "Wait!" she called.

He stopped and turned to stare at her, raising an eyebrow.

Christie hesitated before shooting a glance at Vix, who was curled up on the bed. "I don't want to stay here...with him."

"It's just for a little bit; I'm sure Vix will go soon. I need to go training or I'll be in trouble, so just hang in there," Michael responded.

"I won't forgive you if you leave!" Christie exclaimed.

Michael smirked slightly. "Don't lie to yourself. You forgive everyone and everything—except maybe Vix."

Christie sighed. He had a point. "Fine," she grumbled, folding her arms. "But I don't have to like it."

"I didn't say you had to." Michael chuckled lightly, before waving goodbye and leaving. He paused at the door and glanced at Vix. "Will you be here for long?"

Vix waved his hand lazily, mumbling a "no".

"How long then?" Michael asked, glancing at Christie.

Vix sighed loudly, moving his body so that he could look up at Michael. Most of his face was covered by his arm, but a gleaming green eye met Michael's aqua gaze. "Relax, I won't be here for too long."

Michael shrugged, before closing the door behind him.

Christie glanced at Vix, who was completely shirtless. He was wrapped up in bandages, and the fox-like male was still curled up in a ball. She half-expected him to fall asleep, but she didn't hear him snoring—and she knew Vix snored somewhat from experience.

About two minutes later, Vix remarked, "I know you're looking at me." Christie quickly looked somewhere else as Vix uncurled himself and sat up on the edge of the bed. He stared at her and she kept her face turned away from him. "If you think I'm hot, just let me know," he said pointedly.