CHAPTER 24: A WOLF'S AWAKENING

Head low, Buttercup scrawled the last word onto the worksheet and huffed, relieved that she was done. She blew her bangs out of her eyes as she put her hand up.

Mr. Fickleson looked up and walked over, taking the worksheet from her. "Glad to see you are done," he said, almost sarcastically. He glanced at Butch's paper, and the green Ruff crinkled it slightly in embarrassment. Mr. F continued, "Seems like Butch is having trouble with #8. Maybe you could help him."

"What—" Buttercup stopped when she saw Mr. Fickleson's look. She sighed and rolled her eyes. "Yes, sir." she said sarcastically

"Good." The teacher returned to his desk.

Buttercup stared awkwardly at her desk, trying to figure out how to start the conversation. She opened her mouth, but Butch spoke first.

"Well? Aren't you going to help me?" he demanded.

Annoyed, Buttercup's mouth clamped shut as she shoved her counterpart. "I was going to," she snapped. She snatched his sheet away from him, scanning the 8th question.

"Hey," Butch said, but Buttercup kept him at bay with her arm.

"What is this?" she asked, pointing at a doodle on the side.

Butch glanced away in embarrassment. "It's a drawing."

"Of what though?" she asked again, a little more impatiently.

"What do you think? What's gray, has fur, and has fangs?" Butch snatched his paperback. "Look, are you going to help me or not?"

"Fine; Jesus—overreaction, much?"

Butch's face flushed red. "Shut up."

Buttercup thought his red face looked cute, so she mentally hit herself. To hide her discomfort, Buttercup focused on the question at hand. "It's not actually that hard," she began. Soon, the two had discussed and finished the question. "Do you get it?"

"I guess so." Butch chewed on his pencil. "Math has never been my strong point."

"ehh i guess you cant have all my talents." Buttercup shrugged as she scrawled the very last number down on the sheet.

"Oh, whatever." Butch's lips twitched upwards just slightly.

Buttercup noticed his different expression and raised an eyebrow. "What is it?" she inquired.

Butch's lips moved until they had turned into a little smirk. "Thanks for the help. Sorry about earlier."

Buttercup felt her face warm up again. "It's fine." She looked away. "M-Maybe I overreacted a bit."

"No problem. I mean, you were a bit of a bitch Earl—"

Buttercup kicked him lightly. "Don't even go there." She rolled her eyes. "And just when we were having a moment. Besides, you had a major breakdown this morning. I still don't know what that was about."

"You don't need to," he replied, his face slightly shadowed. "It's a personal reason."

Buttercup gave him a look before turning away. "its always like that with you...never letting me in; always hiding things...whatever lets just work on our project." there was still a sort of tension lingering in the atmosphere. Buttercup had a feeling that Butch hadn't fully forgiven her yet, and she hadn't forgiven him yet either.

Or rather, it wasn't that they wouldn't forgive each other... It was more like their trust was a little broken. Buttercup knew that if she told anyone else, they'd say the two greens were overreacting. Still, based on how much had happened to her with Butch and how she still wasn't getting any answers, Buttercup didn't feel like she was overreacting at all.