Chapter 38: A Present from a Wolf

Christie pressed her hand against the glass, staring into the large tubes. The glass was fairly opaque, but she could make out the faint outline of her parents' faces. Her stomach did a flip as her heart began hurting. It had been so long since she'd gazed upon their faces.

"Are you okay?" Danes asked, standing nearby. He seemed to be going through a couple of files.

Christie shivered, tears pricking at her eyes. "I-I'm fine," she lied.

Danes glanced at her and frowned, but he could only see her rigid back. He sighed and looked back down at the files in his hands. "We'll save them; I promise," he murmured quietly.

"...Are we going to tell anyone?"

"Are you comfortable with telling anyone right now?"

"No, not yet," sighed Christie.

Danes shuffled his papers. "Whenever you're ready, I'll let the others know. We need to act quickly. However, I think Michael deserves to know."

"Does he?" She wiped the glass, staring at her father's face inside the tube. "This'll hurt him. —that I'm sure of. I can only imagine how Michael will react."

"I'm sorry, Christie."

"It's not fair." She felt herself shaking, and she hated that she was doing it. She slammed her fist down upon the hard glass. "It's not fair!"

Her uncle looked up in surprise. "Christie...I know this is hard for you—"

"It's not just hard!" She spun around and glared at him, her eyes flashing as tears spilled down her cheeks. "My parents could die, and I can't do anything. I feel weak, small, useless." She stopped and rubbed her arm. "I hate this feeling."

Danes walked over to her and placed a hand on her shoulder. "I know what it feels like. How do you think I felt after Tyrone died?"

Realizing that he had a point, Christie relaxed under his hold. "I'm sorry, Uncle."

He gave her shoulder a squeeze. "It's okay, dear. I know this is a hard thing for you to be going through, but you need to remember that they're my family too. I know how it feels, but both of us have to stay strong for our people."

Christie bit her lip to try and keep the tears from coming again. "Uncle Danes...?"

"Yes?"

"...I'm scared," she whispered, wrapping her arms around her uncle.

Danes felt surprised to grip him again, but he recovered quickly, gently putting his own arms around his niece. "I know, dear," he murmured. "But it'll be okay. I promise. I'll lead us to victory, and then that'll all be over."

Christie squeezed the fabric of his clothing, narrowing eyes that were still wet with tears.

"B-Blossom...?" he stammered, eyes wide in shock. His mind filtered between clearness and fogginess; with him struggling just to remember her name.

"Ughhh... Brick, is that you? Where are we?" Blossom sat up, wearing nothing but a pale white-pink dress that seemed to glow in the darkness. It was like a light was radiating off of her, warming his cold body.

"We're..." He stopped and glanced around him, hesitating. "I think we're in my head."

Blossom rubbed her eyes. "Oh, okay—wait, what!?" Her gaze snapped upward as she scrambled to get up. "Are you saying—I'm in your brain, Brick!?"

Brick took a step back. "Yeah, basically—"

"How is this possible?" Blossom rubbed her temples, staring at the ground. Water pooled around their feet, and her reflection stared back at her. "This shouldn't be possible. But I mean You have superpowers, sooo"