Chapter 32: Keeping the Wolf Out

Bubbles pushed her hair up and tied it back, her tongue poking out of her mouth in concentration. She finished her pigtails and stared at her reflection. The same old, usual Bubbles looked back at her.

Sighing softly, she decided to try something new with her hair. She took the pigtails and made them into braids. Then she tied them together at the back of her head with a big blue bow. Tilting her head to one side, Bubbles gently tucked stray strands of hair behind her ears. "There," she said aloud to nobody in particular, "a change."

There were a lot of things changing in Bubbles' life, but the main thing was the fact that the Ruffs' lives were now affecting hers. The idea that Brick of all people had gotten amnesia scared her. Are we not safe? Why do the Ruffs always act so secretive? Bubbles thought back to yesterday when she'd gone picking flowers. She'd spotted Boomer, but he'd turned away before she could call him over. She wasn't sure if he'd noticed her or not, and before she knew it, Ethan was leading her to his house.

Ethan's home had indeed looked like a big gingerbread house. It had "soft" edges and looked the brown you'd see in gingerbread. The other colors were bright, and most of it had been either pink or white. The shutters were striped that way, and a swirly circular piece on the top at the front of the house looked like a giant mint.

"Wow," Bubbles had said. Inside, the entire place smelled like freshly baked cookies. Bubbles had met Ethan's parents—who constantly embarrassed him—and even met his family members. Bubbles would have never guessed that Ethan had so many sisters: there was his sporty twin, Ella his younger sisters (who were also twins!) Sarah and Sally. They had taken an immediate liking to Bubbles—going so far as to mention how often Ethan talked about her and even called her his girlfriend. When she denied it, giggling and blushing, they started talking about how Ethan would be a great boyfriend and how Bubbles was perfect for him. The two young girls were escorted out by Ethan leaving Bubbles alone with Ella for a while. She had tried to make friendly conversation, although Ella seemed more guarded and hostile around Bubbles than the younger sisters had.

She even said to Bubbles, "You might as well back off he has a girlfriend; don't think you know him as well as you might think."

Flashback

"We're here" Ethan announced, gesturing at the building behind him.

"Oh wow," Bubbles managed to say. The entire thing did indeed look like a gingerbread house.

"My parents and sisters should all be home today," Ethan continued speaking, sounding excited.

Bubbles looked at him in surprise. "You have sisters?"

He nodded, but before he could reply or even properly unlock the door, it swung open. "Where have you been?" a loud voice exclaimed, and someone grabbed Ethan by the arm, yanking him inside. The door slammed shut.

Bubbles was left stranded outside, unsure of what to do next. Should she knock, wait, or leave? It turned out that waiting was a good option, as the door opened just a split second later.

"Sorry about that," Ethan apologized, "my sister Ella gets really...protective.", peeking inside. Even the inside of the house was cozy. She sniffed the air; the scent of cinnamon and freshly baked cookies wafted toward her. It was a very homey mixture. But there was something else in the air; something more salty...

Just then, a girl popped in. She wore a sports jersey jacket and leggings. Her hair was tied back in a ponytail. "Hey, eth" she called, walking over.

"Hi, Ella" he answered gently.

"Who's the girl?" she asked, glancing at Bubbles.

"That's Bubbles."

Ella stopped rummaging in the fridge, flipping her hair back as she turned to stare at Bubbles. "Thee Bubbles...? Of the Powerpuff Girls?" She shut the refrigerator door, holding a water bottle of red liquid. "Wow, never took you for a player."