Chapter 36: Wolves and Women

"Vix, Vix! Wake up," she pleaded, shaking him gently. His fever had risen, and beads of sweat dripped down his face. He didn't look well; she could hear his breathing getting shallower. He'd been like this since she got home; his fever and his nightmares probably worsened while she had been gone.

It took a few moments, but then his eyes flashed open and he immediately sat up, panting. His eyes were wide and his healing powers kicked in, causing one eye to glow white-even though there was nothing to heal. "My neck-my n-neck; he tried to slit it..." he choked.

"Are you okay?" she asked softly, causing him to turn one white eye and one green eye on her. She winced at the intensity of his gaze. She opened her mouth, ready to say more, when she saw something wet and sparkling slide down his cheek.

Vix is crying?

It took her a few moments before she could comprehend what was happening, and by then Vix's eyes had closed. Tears pooled freely down his face. He was breaking down. "They tried to kill me," he whispered.

"What?" She was still struggling to grasp the fact that Vix was indeed crying.

"They tried to kill me," he repeated, louder this time. His fingers tightened into fists as he gripped the blankets. His voice broke. "My parents wanted me dead."

She finally realized that he was talking about his nightmare, and she tried not to shiver at the thought. "Why?" she prompted gently, not wanting to alarm him.

"They blamed me for their deaths. They tried to kill me too. They kept saying that 'I did this'; that I killed them. I didn't mean... I didn't mean"-he gulped-"I should've died that day."

"But Damon saved you."

Her words caused Vix to slump, his sobs racking through his body. She wasn't used to a crying male; let alone Vix crying. "I shouldn't have survived."

"Talk it out," she suggested carefully. "Tell me what happened, please."

There was a long moment where he said nothing at all. When he did speak again, his voice was hoarse. "...My mom gouged my eye out. My dad tried to slit my neck." Vix's eyes were wide with grief, and his hair was stringy. He was near hysterics, strands of red hair slipping over his teary face.

"Ouch," she managed to say. "Are you sure you're okay? That sounds like a lot to go through..."

He carefully touched his lost eye, his hand shaking. "No, I'm not okay," he finally whispered.

She didn't say anything, just letting him speak.

"I don't know what to do. I can't control my dreams." He let out a low moan.

"Vix, it's okay," she attempted to comfort him.

"No, it's not okay!" He looked up at her, eyes flashing. He rubbed his neck. "My parents tried to kill me in my sleep I can't... I can't take it any-!" She watched as his calmness kept deteriorating, until finally, he snapped, his voice rising until it was close to a broken shout. "It's all my fault they died," he said in a low tone

"No it's not," she protested weakly. "You couldn't have prevented them from-" She stopped herself.

" but it was my fault they never would have been in the car if I hadn't begged them to take me to the mall for my birthday" He closed his watering eyes.

She didn't reply. Couldn't reply.

He remained silent for a long time, tears flowing as his mind spun. He seemed to slip deeper and deeper into the memories of his nightmare. When he suddenly reached forward, she half-expected him to do something physical to her. Grab her or shake her, perhaps. Instead, he sighed and slipped his arms around her, his voice choked with sobs. "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry." It was clear he wasn't talking directly to her.