Chapter 30: What a Wolf Admits

"What...What are you doing here?" Butch felt dumbfounded as he stared at Rem.

Ren shrugged. "I thought I'd visit you guys. What? Not happy to see me?" His tone was teasing, but it seemed to have an edge to it. Butch decided to be careful.

"Oh no; it's just that I'm a little surprised." Shaking his head, the green Ruff forced himself to smile. "that's all."

"Glad to hear it. Can I come in?" Ren tilted his head to one side.

Butch hesitated, but he couldn't turn Ren away without seeming rude or suspicious. "Oh, sure. We're a little"—he glanced at his dad's lab—"busy right now, but come on in."

After Ren had gone in and settled down on a couch in the living room, Butch flew downstairs into the lab. "Guys, we have a situation!" he half-yelled.

"What's the problem?" Bandit asked.

"Ren. Here.  house." When he got a few confused looks, Butch quickly explained why he had let Ren in. "We need enough people upstairs to keep him from wondering why so many people are absent."

"I'll go," Boomer volunteered.

Blair and Blaze agreed to go too. Bandit decided to stay with Brick. So the four who were going went back upstairs to greet Ren.

"Boomer, hey," Ren said, standing up as the blue Ruff entered the room. he continued when he saw the others.

Blair nodded slightly curtly as he leaned against the wall and folded his arms.

"Bandit and Brick are a little...occupied at the moment," Butch stated, feeling a little nervous.

Butch turned back to Ren. "Is there anything specific you want to talk about?"

"Not really. I just happened to be passing by the area and I figured I'd check out your house." Ren shrugged.

"Well, now you've seen it," Blair muttered.

Blaze nudged him. "What Blair means is that we didn't expect a visit.." He gritted his teeth. "It's not as fancy as Michael's house, of course."

"If you're implying that I am uptight and only like big, fancy houses, you're not entirely correct. I'll admit they're nice, but they just don't always feel very homey." Ren drank from his water bottle. "Especially when you have things everywhere that give you bad memories."

Boomer thought back to the abandoned room that was Tyrone's room in Michael and Rens' home, along with all the portraits. "...Makes sense," he said quietly.

Ren faced Butch. "I did want to talk about something—"

Just then, a painful cry sounded. , not thinking Butch dove straight for the lab. His brothers followed, and in the end, so did Ren When they got downstairs into the laboratory, they saw Brick sitting on the bed he'd been lying down on. He looked like he was in pain.

"I thought you made his brainwaves more stable!" Butch yelled at Blossom, who winced when she heard his accusing tone.

"I did! But that doesn't mean these spasms won't still happen—"

"Can't you fix this—!?"

"Butch, calm the fuck down!" Buttercup shoved forward and placed a hand on Butch's chest. Her piercing emerald-green eyes stared back into Butch's, her voice lowering: "Remember, Brick's currently sensitive to noise."

Butch froze, turning to look at his brother. A few moments of silence passed and Brick eventually relaxed. He didn't pass out this time, instead blinking and looking around. "Ban-dit," he said slowly, "my head hurts."