Chapter 23

Jake, burdened with guilt, made his way to Tsowäl's hut

Jake, burdened with guilt, made his way to Tsowäl's hut. He knew he had to make amends for the trouble his son, Lo'ak, had caused. The incident had caused tension between their families, and Jake believed it was his responsibility to set things right.

As he approached Tsowäl's hut, he took a deep breath, steeling himself for the conversation ahead. He knocked on the hut, and Tsowäl looked up and smiled at him. He gestured for Jake to enter.

"Tsowäl," Jake began, bowing respectfully. "I have come to apologize for the trouble my son has caused your family. I am deeply sorry for the pain and inconvenience it has brought upon you."

Tsowäl sighed, his expression softening. "Jake, it's not you who should be apologizing. It is my son, who needs to take responsibility for his actions."

Jake nodded earnestly. "I understand, and I appreciate that Ao'nung has already come to apologize to my family. But I felt it was important for me to personally come to you and express my sincerest apologies. As a father, I take accountability for my son's behavior."

Tsowäl's eyes filled with understanding, and he placed a hand on Jake's shoulder. "Jake Sully, I appreciate your gesture. It takes great strength to acknowledge the mistakes of our children and seek reconciliation. Your sincerity speaks volumes."

"Need any help from me? As a sort of apology?" he asked, right as Tsowäl was about to respond. But his attention was quickly diverted as he spotted his daughter, Tsireya, walking in. "Hey, Dad. Jake Sully," she acknowledged, giving a nod to the man before shifting her focus back to her father.

"Hey Tsireya, what's up?" he asked, and Tsireya glanced around before turning her attention to her dad. "I'd like to take the Sully children to see our spirit tree. Can I have your permission?" she asked. The men were taken aback by her request. "Sure, just make sure you're back before it gets too dark," he responded. Tsireya's face lit up with a smile as she embraced her father.

A smile spread across Jake's face as he observed the beautiful connection between the father and daughter. "Remember?" he asked, and she beamed back at him.

"Make sure you're home before it gets too dark," she reminded him, and he returned the smile. "Oh, and before you go, tell your brother to come see me," he mentioned, and she nodded before saying her goodbyes to both of them and departing.

"As I was saying, there's really no need for you to make amends for what my son did," he stated, and Jake nodded in understanding. Just as Jake was about to leave, Ao'nung walked in. "Father, did you call for me?" he asked, his eyes cast downward. "Yes, I did. Today, I've decided that you'll accompany me hunting trip," he declared, causing Ao'nung's eyes to widen with astonishment.

"Huh?" He questioned, wanting to double-check if he had heard his father accurately. "I want you to come hunting with me," his father said, and Ao'nung glanced at him." Why though? I thought you were going to punish me?" Ao'nung asked, while Tsowäl simply stared at him.